Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explorer 130P and ZWO ASI 120MCS

Hi All,

Just a quick question. The wife has a Skywatcher Explorer 130P. I tried to do a bit of simple Imaging with it using the ZWO Camera. I knew that you could not mount a DSLR onto it as there is not enough back focus. I was wondering if its the same with the ZWO, as all I could get were blurred images of the Secondary. I think I already know the answer, but maybe I am making a simple error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graham

39 minutes ago, Newbs2215 said:

Hi All,

Just a quick question. The wife has a Skywatcher Explorer 130P. I tried to do a bit of simple Imaging with it using the ZWO Camera. I knew that you could not mount a DSLR onto it as there is not enough back focus. I was wondering if its the same with the ZWO, as all I could get were blurred images of the Secondary. I think I already know the answer, but maybe I am making a simple error.

Graham

Hi

I think you should be able to focus - I take it you connected the camera (without the supplied lens) using an adapter? However, trying to use that camera at the focal length of 130p means you'll only have a very small fov. That will make it difficult to get on target.

Louise

The backfocus on the 120 is 12.5mm.

The distance for whatever DSLR you have can be found here.

Most DSLRs seem to have a distance longer than 12.5mm, so achieving focus with the 120 may be possible.

As Steve suggests, a barlow may help with focus, but won't help with the camera's fov! Maybe an experiment for a night when the moon is around? - nice big target to hit and easy to see when focus is achieved.

• 3 years later...

Was a solution ever found to this problem? I am having the same issue with the same telescope and camera. I can find the image that is not a problem. I just cannot get it into focus. I have the camera on a Barlow lens which almost gets it there but not quite.  Any help would be appreciated as I am very new at this.

@mrossI have a 200P and I can focus both DSLR and my ASI 120 MC, the DSLR is very close at only about 1CM the ASI is much further back requiring extension tubes, I would image it is very similar with the 130P. What I have done is to focus each on a distant object during the day, (for me a wind turbine some 2-3 miles away) once I have focus I marked the focus tube at each point, you then have a starting point for the fainter night objects.

This was focusing the guide scope with the ASI 120MC guide scope is 40mm 127mm flCapture_00001.thumb.png.f5fca504bf33dca931240091c1c47a68.png

The front vegetation has gone, just some sunflowers, and you really don't want to see the LP from those warehouses, they are what stops this area being a bortle 5-6 instead of over 6.

That looks cool. I like the depth of field given with this camera as I am looking at distant things :) I thought extension tubes might be the answer. I'll have to get in touch with First Light to see what they recommend as that is where my setup was bought from.

On 09/02/2019 at 22:24, Newbs2215 said:

Hi All,

Graham

I have an Astromaster 130 which is similar to the 130P. I can get focus with both the ASI224  (12.5mm backfocus) & the ASI533 (6.5mm BF), so it should work for you. I attach using the provided nosepiece.