Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Newbs2215

Explorer 130P and ZWO ASI 120MCS

Hi All,

Just a quick question. The wife has a Skywatcher Explorer 130P. I tried to do a bit of simple Imaging with it using the ZWO Camera. I knew that you could not mount a DSLR onto it as there is not enough back focus. I was wondering if its the same with the ZWO, as all I could get were blurred images of the Secondary. I think I already know the answer, but maybe I am making a simple error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graham

39 minutes ago, Newbs2215 said:

Hi All,

Just a quick question. The wife has a Skywatcher Explorer 130P. I tried to do a bit of simple Imaging with it using the ZWO Camera. I knew that you could not mount a DSLR onto it as there is not enough back focus. I was wondering if its the same with the ZWO, as all I could get were blurred images of the Secondary. I think I already know the answer, but maybe I am making a simple error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graham

Hi

I think you should be able to focus - I take it you connected the camera (without the supplied lens) using an adapter? However, trying to use that camera at the focal length of 130p means you'll only have a very small fov. That will make it difficult to get on target.

Louise

Hi Graham

It’s not ideal but if you have a Barlow lens you could try attaching that first and then try adding the camera afterwards and you might get enough focus.

Good luck

Steve

The backfocus on the 120 is 12.5mm.

The distance for whatever DSLR you have can be found here.

Most DSLRs seem to have a distance longer than 12.5mm, so achieving focus with the 120 may be possible.

As Steve suggests, a barlow may help with focus, but won't help with the camera's fov! Maybe an experiment for a night when the moon is around? - nice big target to hit and easy to see when focus is achieved.