Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

South Pole Aurora Video

laser_jock99

..... as well as stunning to watch, technically difficult to achieve I would guess.   Temperatures in the region of 45 below and the a lot of blowing spin drifty snow.

Interesting to learn if they used dew heaters, as it is technically a desert, there may not be a problem with condensation.

7 hours ago, Craney said:

..... as well as stunning to watch, technically difficult to achieve I would guess.   Temperatures in the region of 45 below and the a lot of blowing spin drifty snow.

Interesting to learn if they used dew heaters, as it is technically a desert, there may not be a problem with condensation.

Yes must be a technical challenge. I also suspect dew/frost is not the main problem as the air must be very dry.

This is from    spaceweather.com

"Robert Schwarz is a pioneer in cold-weather astrophotography. At the South Pole, temperatures routinely drop below -70o C. Modern DSLR cameras are not made for such temperatures. LCD displays freeze instantly, mirror mechanisms get stuck, batteries fail, and time-lapse sequences often end after only 30 or 40 frames. To mitigate these problems, Robert has developed heated camera housings and motorized trackers with insulation, allowing his optics to follow the pirouette of the stars overhead even in deep Antarctic cold. "

Archived