NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two photos' of a bent bolt from my NEQ6 mount

Taff

Hi' After following instructions from members' how to get the back bolt free and managed to get the bolt out.I bought the bolts off ebay which have been weak bolts.Can anyone name a place where i can go to buy new ones' Thanks.Mark

IMG_7747.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

Before fitting new bolts, check for damage to the parts that the bolts tighten against, also check that the horizontal pivot of the mount is not too tight, you should be able to rotate it back and forth without too much effort.   ?

Taff,

Below is a link to the replacement bolts I've used.

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/specials/eq6bolt-replacement-latitude-adjustment-bolt-eq6-neq6-mounts/

A bit expensive and I'm sure when I bought them (admittedly a few years ago) they came as a pair. You might only need one though. As far as I know the back bolt is the one under the most load. Please correct me if I'm wrong :unsure:

I think @Skipper Billy used allen-key bolts (M10?) on his mount because, with a long hex key, they can be adjusted more precisely. Perhaps he'll chime in to correct me :)

Also note the adjustment bolts on the NEQ6 and HEQ5 do not, ever, need to be done up "tight". The mount rests on one of the bolts (Prador suggests the back one) and the other just stops the whole thing tipping over if it's not balanced.

29 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I think @Skipper Billy used allen-key bolts (M10?) on his mount because, with a long hex key, they can be adjusted more precisely. Perhaps he'll chime in to correct me :)

Correct - made fine adjustment when drift aligning very simple. The small smooth head of the bolt also made for one less thing to get cables snagged on.

Nice stainless steel ones available in small quantities here - https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_SHCap_M10.html

Archived