SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Want to see the lunar eclipse

Hi, I'm an absolute novice. My 85 year old dad has given me his telescope to sell but since I've got it I'd like to go to Goodwood west Sussex perhaps on Sunday night to watch the eclipse. Ambitious since I have no idea how to set up the telescope, it's a tal- 100rt. Can anyone advise me? I do have a love of the world and it's wonders, frequently taking pics of the moon  on my mobile, only to get a white dot on the screen ? thinking I need my tent and my trangia stove for a cold night ahead. Is anyone going up to the trundle at Goodwood that might help me? Pretty please? Thanks for reading my post. 

Not familiar with this scope, any chance of posting up a photo.

Try contacting the local astro society and see if they are doing anything for the eclipse, but as it is in the early hours in the UK maybe not. 

Carole

Hi Gabz,

If you find a local club for sure they will help you out.

I have only had a scope for just under 12 months now and have found Astronomers to be a friendly bunch and very, very helpful so do not be afraid to ask. As said above you have a nice scope there so I hope you keep it rather than sell it and get good use from it.

Please keep the thread going and let us know how you get on. Maybe even some pics, even with a mobile taking pics through the eyepiece you can get some great shots of the moon.

Good luck ? 

Steve

Can you set the scope up at home tonight for trial run or even during the day?

the nice thing about the moon it it’s dead easy to find, you can see it even under the most light polluted skies and even when there’s a fair amount of cloud. 

If you can get a trial run in tonight I’m sure you’ll be ok tomorrow. What eyepieces do you have? It should say on them the ‘power’ of them in mm and you want to use the one with the largest number which will give you the lowest magnification, particularly at first -makes it easier to find objects. You can up the power (put in smaller numbered eyepieces) if required. 

Dont forget as well the moon moves, surprisingly quickly when looking through a scope, so you’ll need to keep nudging it to keep the moon in view. Again -good to get a practice in first. 

Hi Gabz. welcome to SGL. 
This is a very useful instrument, and as said, Ideal for lunar viewing.
The picture below is what you have, and it may be on an equatorial mount, 
which means it will need to be aligned with the North Celestial Pole. The star Polaris is near enough for 
general observing. Is the scope driven perhaps? and does it have a power supply for the motor?
The Eclipse of the moon really can be enjoyed without a telescope, in fact it may be more than a hindrance than a help.
For most other targets though, it will be excellent.
Below is a picture to verify that your scope is the same scope is.
If you do have a local Astronomy Society, the the advice to seek their help is very good.
Best of luck.
Ron.

Tal100rt.jpg

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely have a good tonight, it's really cloudy this morning, hope it clears. I can find north star easily, dad was a sailor so taught me that at a tender age. The telescope in the photo looks similar but perhaps more modern. Our was built in 1999 and purchased new in 2000. Unfortunately I do live on a main road with horrid orange lights and if I were going to enjoy the stargazing I'd have to get something smaller and lighter to transport. I can't even lift the wooden crate it lives in so will need to find a helper to take it out. I did call the southdowns planetarium. And there is a kind lady I'll call again to see if she knows anyone going out. I wouldn't be put off by an all night out once in a while. I'm fond of the great outdoors! Often best by night. Thanks again will keep you posted. ?

Thanks for all your help. I had a fab adventure, found my self alone in one of my favourite spots. Later a few others arrived but none were astronomers. Even so, what a special experience. ????

IMG_20190121_032256.jpg

IMG_20190121_040843.jpg

IMG_20190121_064332.jpg

Archived