Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon NAV HW 17mm eyepiece

Stardust1

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

No, but from my reading elsewhere, the NAV-HW have more eye relief than the Ethos, but even then, not enough for folks with deep set eyes wearing eyeglasses.  Those without eyeglasses find them easier to take in the view than with the Ethos thanks to the more generous eye relief, however.

If you wear glasses because of astigmatism, the televue dioptrix fit the Nikons. I was really fed up with missing out on the full experience of the Nikons until I found this out. Bought a dioptrix and now it's a whole new ball game. 

Full field of view, you really get that immersed experience that we are given to expect from these eyepiece's. Hell would freeze over before I would sell mine.

Steve 

• Like 2

The ONLY bummer about the Nikon NAV-HW 17mm is that there is no optimum position in a TeleVue Paracorr for it.

Whereas the 17mm Ethos is optimized at setting A, the Nikon should have a setting lower than A to get it close enough to the lens.

It is because the lower barrel extends farther beyond the lens than it does in the Ethos.  A machinist could take a few millimeters off, but I doubt anyone would bother.

Setting A on the Paracorr won't be optimum, but the coma correction will still be 95%, so it may be a moot point.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to other types of scopes than newtonians.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2020 at 19:18, Don Pensack said:

The ONLY bummer about the Nikon NAV-HW 17mm is that there is no optimum position in a TeleVue Paracorr for it.

Whereas the 17mm Ethos is optimized at setting A, the Nikon should have a setting lower than A to get it close enough to the lens.

It is because the lower barrel extends farther beyond the lens than it does in the Ethos.  A machinist could take a few millimeters off, but I doubt anyone would bother.

Setting A on the Paracorr won't be optimum, but the coma correction will still be 95%, so it may be a moot point.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to other types of scopes than newtonians.

I use a revelation coma corrector. Far lower costing but does the job perfectly well. Maybe I will get chance to compare with a paracorr at some point but not rushing out to get one.

TBH @Don Pensack I find that even at F4.7 the fov is pretty sharp right out to 80% without it anyway, will see how it performs when my new F4.8 dob arrives. #spoileralert

Edited by bomberbaz

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

......will see how it performs when my new F4.8 dob arrives. #spoileralert

Orion Optics by any chance ?

I had a 10 inch F/4.8 Orion Optics for a while. I didn't feel the need to use a Coma Corrector with that even with Ethos eyepieces. I suspect that I'm less bothered by coma than I am astigmatism.

56 minutes ago, John said:

Orion Optics by any chance ?

I had a 10 inch F/4.8 Orion Optics for a while. I didn't feel the need to use a Coma Corrector with that even with Ethos eyepieces. I suspect that I'm less bothered by coma than I am astigmatism.

No John. I fell for this when I saw it annnnnd, well you know how it goes from there. 😆

https://www.taurustelescopes.com/en/taurus-t350/

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Did you order this Steve? Very nice telescope!

Yes cat's out of the bag Gerry, it is currently being built. Hope to take delivery this month all being well. There will be an initial out of the box overview when it arrives.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bingevader said:

With all the whistles and bells? :)

I quite like the sound of the DSC. ;)

All the bells but not the DSC whistle. It is price prohibitive. Not saying more until i take receipt of it and do an out of the box. 😁

I am considering making a AZ levelling platform for it and may use an alt meter with it.  

However I want to do more star hopping and finding so even if I do use the above aids they may get limited use.

20 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Yes cat's out of the bag Gerry, it is currently being built. Hope to take delivery this month all being well. There will be an initial out of the box overview when it arrives.

Awesome!

Eagerly waiting reports!