Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Orion and running man

Wasp

My first image off my ED80. I have the EQ 5 mount and did an alignment with the polemaster and noticed im getting star trailing at just over thirty seconds. Id checked balance which seemed good, and I thought my alignment was spot on. Any ideas where Im going wrong?

orion-m42PS-with-running-man.png

Well first off that is about 1000% better than my first image of Orion with my ED80 (on an NEQ6) so you should be very pleased with the result. What camera were you using on the ED80?

I have no experience of using an EQ5 but my belt-modded NEQ6 needs a guide scope etc. if I want to avoid star trailing with exposures over about 60s. I suspect your EQ5 may be much the same. Adding a guidescope and using PHD2 has enabled me to go up to 15 mins without any evidence of trailing.

I am sure an EQ5 expert will pop up and help but that is a very good first image. Well done! :)

That is a great first image. Just the sky looks a bit mottled which might be fixable in pp.

Regards the scope and mount I'd imagine the payload may mean anything longer than 30 seconds might result in trailing. I won't go over 60 second subs with my HEQ5 Pro Rowan belt modded and WOZ73 scope. 

Could be wind as well causing the trailing.

You could try unbalancing the mount to make it slightly east-heavy. If you have backlash in the RA drive this will help to keep the gears meshing on the same side. Whether you are counterweights heavy or scope-side heavy depends on which side of the meridian you're on, which is why I say east-heavy.

Olly

Archived