SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

finally a break in the clouds - ngc 2683

wimvb

After what seems like an eternity, last friday the clouds finally parted for a few hours and I was able to do some imaging.
NGC 2683 is a type SAb galaxy in the constellation Lynx. It is located approximately 32 Mly from the Milky way.
The galaxy is seen edge on, and covers only 9.2' x 2.2' of the night sky.

Imaging details:

• SW 150PDS on a SW AZ-EQ6 GT
  • ASI 174MM-Cool + ASI EFW and ZWO LRGB filters, at -25 C, gain 20
  • Guiding: ST80 + ASI 120M-S + PHD2

All this controlled by INDI/Ekos on 2 Rock64 sbc's

• L: 27 x 120 s
  • RGB: 12 x 240 s each

Total integration time: 3.3 hrs

Processing: PixInsight

NGC2683_LRGB.thumb.jpg.e0300aa69831f78e09e452bd65b631f7.jpg

Thanks, Firas.

Yes, more integration time will allow me to stretch the data more and give better definition. This galaxy has a bright core, but also a very weak outer ring (the galaxy is magnitude 10.6). The outer ring needs more data. 

I'm just lucky I was able to collect this data at all. The weather forecast only had a gap for about 3 hours, but it stayed clear for most of the night. Unfortunately, too much of that time went into setting up. We had a severe storm recently, and for safety reasons I had moved all my gear, except the mount, out of my roll-away-shed. It took a while to get everything in order again.

@gorann: I mixed a small amount of the red channel into the green, in order to get a better colour balance in the core, but clearly not enough. This image will get a reprocess when I have more data.

1 minute ago, jjosefsen said:

Yeah that looks better.

Good detail in those inner dustlanes already.

Thanks. Despite the small amount of data, the luminance responded well to deconvolution. This and "a pinch" of HDR compression did the trick.

Archived