NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explore Scientific finder scope

After contorting myself into ridiculous positions while using the Rigel finder on my dob, I recently took the plunge and purchased an Explore Scientific 8x50 illuminated finder scope. It makes life sooooo much easier! My question is, do any of you use this finder and if so, is it worth getting the upgraded illumination for longer battery life?

Greg

C04414F7-2A79-4CF4-ADDF-CD426407D932.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Sorry but i'm not sure what upgraded illumination entails and how it would improve battery life, i see your finder has an illuminated reticle already.

It is illuminated but the upgraded illuminator is supposed to have much longer battery life. It is also much longer in size than the original. I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems with the standard illuminator and battery life.

Give yours a chance to prove itself, maybe you’ll fine it’s fine, I’m assuming that uses a watch style battery. I had a finder with those small watch style batteries and it lasted me long enough, many sessions. Your scope looks great now with the upgraded  finder. You’ll relish the ooh’s and ahhh’s  from bystanders at the local park asking for a peek.

Those flex tube Skywatchers certainly look the part.

5 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

It makes life sooooo much easier!

Isn't it wonderful when you find a product like that? I had exactly the same experience when I moved from a little rdf to a telrad.

I would agree with Sunshine - give it a chance. If you do eventually change it, at least you will know it is the right decision.

I don't know about your finder as far as battery life goes but I have an illuminated reticule eyepiece and the battery lasts for ages, I've had it 2/3 years and haven't replaced the battery in that time.
As @Sunshine says give it a go as is first, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck.

I recently supplemented my Telrad/QuikFinder with a green laser sight when my neck, back, and knees made using my reflex finders painful.  I tried a RACI finder years ago, but found I still had no idea where the scope was pointing on the sky initially.  Years later, using the laser to get the scope in the general vicinity, I found a RACI finder useful with long focal length scopes (over 1500mm) without 2" visual backs to fine tune the positioning.  For shorter focal length scopes, I just put a widest field 2" eyepiece in the focuser and use the main scope to fine tune positioning since I can usually hit within 2 degrees of the object with the laser.

16 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

I recently took the plunge and purchased an Explore Scientific 8x50 illuminated finder scope.

Hi Greg, did your finder come with that base ? I've just bought one and it has no base with it and it appears to be some ES custom design as it doesn't fit in any other bases that I have.

Another 13 euros for the base :hmh:

Dave

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Greg, did your finder come with that base ? I've just bought one and it has no base with it and it appears to be some ES custom design as it doesn't fit in any other bases that I have.

Dave

I think it's a Meade style base, also available on Bresser and ES scopes due to their close history with Meade. 

6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

Hi Dave! This is the base that Explore Scientific recommends: 

Explore Scientific Essential Series Finder Scope Base - FNDRBASE-ESSEN

i ordered mine from Highpoint Scientific. This base fits the finder perfectly and is about $30 US.

3 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I think it's a Meade style base, also available on Bresser and ES scopes due to their close history with Meade. 

This is the base that Explore Scientific recommends: 

Explore Scientific Essential Series Finder Scope Base - FNDRBASE-ESSEN

i ordered mine from Highpoint Scientific. This base fits the finder perfectly and is about $30 US.

20 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Give yours a chance to prove itself, maybe you’ll fine it’s fine, I’m assuming that uses a watch style battery. I had a finder with those small watch style batteries and it lasted me long enough, many sessions. Your scope looks great now with the upgraded  finder. You’ll relish the ooh’s and ahhh’s  from bystanders at the local park asking for a peek.

Those flex tube Skywatchers certainly look the part.

Its an excellent scope! Very easy to use and quite forgiving! It’s really teaching me a lot, and thanks for the compliment!

Archived