Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

365Astronomy AZ5 Versatile-Veri Mount

rhw1967

Good evening.

Does anyone have knowledge of or has used one of these mounts ?

Have messaged 365 but with no reply so far.

Seems they are a stronger version of the AZ5 mount capable of handling a larger payload.

Reason of asking is I am seeking a non GOTO mount for an Evostar 120ED (right now it's looking like a SkyTee II) however just checking all my options.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

I've seen these mounts up close but I've never actually used one ! (not much use I know).

They have been around for a while under different brandings. Here is the Explore Scientific Twilight 1 which seems to be the same:

https://explorescientificusa.com/products/twilight-1-mount

I reckon they would have more capacity and be sturdier than an AZ5 but whether they are quite as solid as a Skytee II, I'm not sure :dontknow:

3 minutes ago, John said:

Hi Richard,

I've seen these mounts up close but I've never actually used one ! (not much use I know).

They have been around for a while under different brandings. Here is the Explore Scientific Twilight 1 which seems to be the same:

https://explorescientificusa.com/products/twilight-1-mount

I reckon they would have more capacity and be sturdier than an AZ5 but whether they are quite as solid as a Skytee II, I'm not sure :dontknow:

Thanks once again for your advice John. I have sent another message to Zoltan at 365 to see what he thinks about it handling a 120, it's saying the mount payload is 8kg. I am still leaning towards the SkyTee you have recommended ?

With the ED120 the scope length needs to be taken into account as well. Because of whats known as moment arm force, scopes with long tubes place more stress on mount heads than shorter ones of the same weight. See what Zoltan says though - he will know the ED120 and their mounts capabilities :smiley:

16 minutes ago, GazOC said:

I have my ED120 on a AZ4, it's fine but I think it's right at the limit of the mount. Might be an option for you?

Yes I had considered this, but from reading around most people like yourself are saying it's at the end/pushing the limit. Originally was going for a 100ed which would have gone nicely with an AZ4, but think for my own peace of mind I need to know my 120ed will be safe and secure ?

Richard I had the original SkyTee mount which looks the same as the AZ5 sold by 365 Astronomy. 

I usually carried both the 6" Newt and 4" APO Frac which John mentioned in his post. In fact he and I observed together at a SGL star party when I used this setup.

I attach a few photos showing the Mount with various scopes the largest was a 6" Meade frac which tells you something. I sold the mount to purchase the SkyTee 2 and to be honest I wish I had kept it.

Look forward to Zoltan's comments.

meade.jpg

towa on skywatcher mount.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Richard I had the original SkyTee mount which looks the same as the AZ5 sold by 365 Astronomy. 

I usually carried both the 6" Newt and 4" APO Frac which John mentioned in his post. In fact he and I observed together at a SGL star party when I used this setup.

I attach a few photos showing the Mount with various scopes the largest was a 6" Meade frac which tells you something. I sold the mount to purchase the SkyTee 2 and to be honest I wish I had kept it.

Look forward to Zoltan's comments.

meade.jpg

towa on skywatcher mount.jpg

Mark that looks like the other one 365 sell, the GIAZ...still haven't had any kind of reply from Zoltan, sent two messages this week.. perhaps he is off or they are just getting back into the swing of things after the holidays.

So, spoke to Zoltan on the phone this morning. He was super helpful. The AZ5 Versatile Veri I brought up he mentioned that perhaps the Evostar 120ed would be too big for it.... He suggested to GIANT which had also been suggested here in the forums, issue there would be no slowmo controls.... He also mentioned a new one they had in (sold their first one yesterday) called the Hercules... He said as he sold the first one yesterday he had no feedback at all yet, but it was one to consider..... 

Been following this post for a few days, as I'm in a similar position, looking to get an ED102 around F7 and need a decent alt/az mount.

The hercules looks good, just seen it on the website, can't think why they have fitted exposed rubber belts though to drive the 2 axises? Looks a great bit of kit with lovely engineered surfaces.

If I had a choice, it would be between this 

https://www.365astronomy.com/Giant-Alt-Azimuth-Telescope-Mount-with-Stainless-Steel-Tripod.html

or this

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-skytee-2-alt-azimuth-mount.html

The Giant on the 365 website looks great value as for the price of the sky tee 2 you get a good tripod - albeit minus the slow controls. However the weight capacity is a whopping 12kg - that's enough for me!

I would also look at getting the extension for the tripod, as without it you could be on your knees or in an uncomfortable position - although I didn't see this as an option anywhere?

So, in the end, I've gone with the SkyTee II. A couple of people I have been messaging are saying it's rock solid for the 120ed (as well as the 100ed) and for my own peace of mind I feel having spent a lot of money on the scope it would be nuts to use a mount that "just" was able to handle it.

Some extra info... Spoke with Martin at FLO, and he said the mounts he'd feel happy with a 120ed on would be the SkyTee II and an AZ4 mount with steel tripod. Obviously he rightly didn't suggest any of the 365 stock (as I was asking him about FLO stock ?

Neil. An extension was mentioned by Zoltan, and also Martin, however they are out of stock at FLO until end of Jan I am informed.

4 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

I have to agree, don’t skimp on the mount with expensive glass ?

I’ll probably go the same way as you, with the extension.

Have done the same, just waiting for them to return to stock ?

30 minutes ago, GazOC said:

One on eBay too, well it was a couple of days ago.

I think for the 120ed I am using the SkyTee is going to give me more peace of mind. It's interesting though. When I called Zoltan he suggested that the 120ed would really be too long a tube for the mount to handle, but this morning John from the same company (365) answered an email I sent a few days ago and said it would be able to handle the 120ed due to the fact it could handle 8kg... No mention was made of the length of the scope as Zoltan had brought up. In the end I'm glad I called and spoke to Zoltan and decided not to go with it for my scope.

Archived