Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light 200mm Takumar M42

cuivenion

I recently aquired this lens, a 200mm F4 Asahi Super Takumar and did a quick M42 with it. I stopped down with a step down ring (to F5.4) and I'm not sure if some of the background colour is vignetting from that or if its the dust that surrounds the nebula.

60x 1 minute Lights

60 x Darks

100 x Bias

100 x Flats

Imaging camera: Canon EOS 500d (unmodded)

Mount: HEQ5

Stacked with DeepSKyStacker. Processed with Pixinsight.

Final2.thumb.jpg.3b154bcf7608fb17b085f2dbdb5c601f.jpg

The next thing to try is a powerful UV filter to try and reduce the violet chromatic abberation. let me know what you think.

49 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

I recently aquired this lens, a 200mm F4 Asahi Super Takumar and did a quick M42 with it. I stopped down with a step down ring (to F5.4) and I'm not sure if some of the background colour is vignetting from that or if its the dust that surrounds the nebula.

The next thing to try is a powerful UV filter to try and reduce the violet chromatic abberation. let me know what you think.

I have one of those! Excellent lens, if a bit heavy. Mine has performed well at f4. I did have to make some adjustment to get infinity focus (if you search on here via google you should find my posts). I don't recall any chromatic aberration. Is it the smc Takumar you have? You shouldn't get any vignetting but, of course, it's still advisable to include flats (which you've done :) ).

Louise

How is the SMC  looking ? I’m sure you checked to make sure the coating is solid across the glass . Those are considered a very good lens . I have a 400mm SMC that i have used with my XSi 450D and never had that problem but did have a problem coming to fine infinity focus . 

Thanks for the kind words. That is the horsehead in the top left corner, just. Unfortunately some of the inner lenses had fungus that I've since cleaned out but it has damaged the coatings on them at the edges. It's the non smc version.

I haven't tried adjusting infinity but I may do it so it goes slightly past infinity, I've never liked that on camera lenses it just stops there. The CA might be more obvious due to the atmosphere that night, it was quite hazy, and at some point the lens dewed up. I think I removed most of the bad frames but some might still be in there.

36 minutes ago, celestron8g8 said:

Did you disassemble the lens to clean the fungus out ? I forgot about that fungus cause it gets bad in high humidity areas if not cleaned regularly . 

I did yes, I left the lens by the iris alone as I didn't want to mess about with the mechanical parts.

9 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Did you disassemble the lens to clean the fungus out ? I forgot about that fungus cause it gets bad in high humidity areas if not cleaned regularly . 

You don't need to clean it if your lens is in good condition with no fungus, you're better off leaving it alone. Just keep it in a dry place  or use dessicant when you're storing it.

Archived