SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Super Bogardus.

Pretty shabby evening , with damp murk arriving . Just a spin around Auriga and the best view of θ Aurigae (Bogardus) SAO 58636, yet. The tiny companion was evident at low power.

Giving it x200 gave a remarkably clear view. This companion is +7.2 compared to the A at +2.65 at a distance of 4". This corresponds to a distance of 185 Au apart for the pair.

There is a visual third star here at 52". Good enjoyable view for clear skies ! Nick.

IMG_6588.thumb.JPG.9fccb850fb8d677220517d19fee7c429.JPG

• Like 8

Nick,

Where do you get this name 'Bogardus' from? Only two stars in Auriga have 'official' IAU names, alpha (Capella) and beta (Menkalinan). SIMBAD lists an unofficial name for theta, but it's 'Mahasim' not 'Bogardus'.

I don't use lesser-known star names, I think Bayer designations are less ambiguous.

Patrick

Dunno, wrote it in my book and used it ever since .Probably from my main source of misinformation , Wikipedia . Can't remember Mahasim , too many stars beginning with M , Nick.IMG_6600.thumb.JPG.df7fb8626cdac17097def167683450b8.JPG

Edited by cotterless45
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It appears on the web in several places with that name. Obviously one of the OP's favourites!

Is is a superb double star though - even my grab 'n go 127 Mak shows it in its glory with a little diamond pinpoint secondary; my 180 Mak shows more of the associated stars/companions (see other posts on this site for details, eg by John).

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's so good to see a couple of pages form your Sissy Haas book Nick. I bought a copy myself from 365Astronomy about a Month ago. As soon as I got it I went through all the Northern Constellations writing in the SAO numbers and then added a few scribbles when I saw a double star; (not that I've had much chance to use it lately thanks to all the lovely marvellous weather), but I've noticed you can't buy it anywhere now unless you live in America, or want to pay a fortune. So I've felt a bit bad for writing all over mine and not looking after it a bit more. - So it's good to see your well used copy and that you've done the same.

Thanks for posting.