Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Pretty shabby evening , with damp murk arriving . Just a spin around Auriga and the best view of θ Aurigae (Bogardus) SAO 58636, yet. The tiny companion was evident at low power.

Giving it x200 gave a remarkably clear view. This companion is +7.2 compared to the A at +2.65 at a distance of 4". This corresponds to a distance of 185 Au apart for the pair.

There is a visual third star here at 52". Good enjoyable view for clear skies ! Nick.

IMG_6588.thumb.JPG.9fccb850fb8d677220517d19fee7c429.JPG

• Like 7

Nick,

Where do you get this name 'Bogardus' from? Only two stars in Auriga have 'official' IAU names, alpha (Capella) and beta (Menkalinan). SIMBAD lists an unofficial name for theta, but it's 'Mahasim' not 'Bogardus'.

I don't use lesser-known star names, I think Bayer designations are less ambiguous.

Patrick

Posted (edited)

Dunno, wrote it in my book and used it ever since .Probably from my main source of misinformation , Wikipedia . Can't remember Mahasim , too many stars beginning with M , Nick.IMG_6600.thumb.JPG.df7fb8626cdac17097def167683450b8.JPG

Edited by cotterless45
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It appears on the web in several places with that name. Obviously one of the OP's favourites!

Is is a superb double star though - even my grab 'n go 127 Mak shows it in its glory with a little diamond pinpoint secondary; my 180 Mak shows more of the associated stars/companions (see other posts on this site for details, eg by John).

Chris

It’s a pity that Eagle Creek Observatory link is mainly unusable now. What sub links that are working are very good, and if all the sub links worked it would be an excellent resource.