SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thoughts on the Vixen SD81S

Hi everyone! I have in the past few months been looking at a high quality apo refractor and I had originally settled on the Takahashi FC-76DCU, but then I stumbled upon the Vixen SD81S on FLO which really caught my attention.

-Light weight(not as light as the tak though)
-Larger aperture
-Has a few reviews and comment which mentions noticeable higher image quality than the SW 80ED pro fx.
-Quite high built quality including image quality.

The above made me rethink if taks are really worth it, or if I would regret not buying a tak on the first occasion.

To sum up what I'm looking for:

A high quality apo able to reach magnifications high enough for comfortable planetary observations.
Has to be light since I'm planning on travelling with it both by land and air. I'm planning on mounting it on my Manfrotto tripod(check signature) and this head which can hold up to 4-6kg.
Has to either support 2" eyepieces or have a shorter focal length so I can do wide field observations with my 14mm 82 degree eyepiece.
My budget is approximately 1500£ max(yes I know the tak package is 1577£ but you get the point...) but of course I would prefer o spend less, and that's why I'm creating this post, to ask if anyone here has experience with the vixen sd81s or the ed81s which seems to be quite similar to the "sd" version.

I hope someone has experience with the vixen and maybe even have looked through both scopes.

Thank you in advance!

Victor

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Victor,

I had opportunity April before last to use the FC76DCU. The night was pristine and the 76 gave very impressive views of the Moon and Jupiter. I have no doubt the 76 will outperform the SW80ED - which itself is a very nice scope, but how it would compare to the Vixen I couldn't say, having not yet used the SD81S. I doubt you'd notice any appreciable advantage due to the aperture difference, though you might notice the difference between the Tak fluorite vs the non-fluorite of the 81S. However, Vixen have always produced top class optics and the Vixen fluorites of the past were every bit as good as those of Takahashi, so there's a good probability the modern Vixens are optically equal to the Tak equivalent. 

Is the Tak 76 worth the high price? Personally i think its expensive as its not that much cheaper than the FC100DC.  The Vixen could be everything you need as a travel scope and could very well equal the Tak in performance. You might however consider an alternative as a travel scope, such as a WO90 or a Tak Sky 90, which can be found second hand for considerably less than the FC76DCU, and are both superb travel scopes.

41 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Hey Victor. Theres a secondhand Televue 85 for sale in Gothenburg, that might be of interest? Might want to replace the focuser to a newer one.

price in the area of DKR 7000,-   Gothenburg isnt that far away from ya.

Blocket.se Televue 85

Rune

That's really a good deal! Do you think it's trustworthy? Because otherwise you may have found an option that previously was an option too expensive for me:-))

I think its thrustworthy yes, because he mentions the old (not defect) focuser he recommends beeing replaced With a newer one. 

But it doesnt help you what I think, does it :smiley:?  I think you have to register to blocket.se to get his phonenumber, you could talk to him, and maybe get someone to drive you over to sweden to check out the Scope and seller yourself?

Rune

That Vixen is a very nice scope, one of the best optically for a 80mm ED doublet. The SD is the newer model with better baffle but loses the 1:10 dual speed pinion on the focuser compared to older ED version. The dual speed focuser knob can still be bought as an optional accessory but cost quite a bit. Also if you do get the Vixen, make sure you order a separate 2" dielectric diagonal as the quality of the stock flip mirror isn't very good and it doesn't accept 2" eyepieces.

Forgot to mention the dew shield on the Vixen is fixed, so make sure its 585mm length will fit in your carry on luggage if you plan to take it on a flight.

10 hours ago, KP82 said:

That Vixen is a very nice scope, one of the best optically for a 80mm ED doublet. The SD is the newer model with better baffle but loses the 1:10 dual speed pinion on the focuser compared to older ED version. The dual speed focuser knob can still be bought as an optional accessory but cost quite a bit. Also if you do get the Vixen, make sure you order a separate 2" dielectric diagonal as the quality of the stock flip mirror isn't very good and it doesn't accept 2" eyepieces.

Forgot to mention the dew shield on the Vixen is fixed, so make sure its 585mm length will fit in your carry on luggage if you plan to take it on a flight.

Thank you for mentioning! In each case I'm going to by the 2" diagonal from baader.

7 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

How much of a difference is there between the two versions if you know?? Both visually and built quality-wise.

When I set out to get my first refractor, I initially was looking at the Vixen SD115S. My local dealer had an SD115S as well as an ED81S in their showroom. Although this wasn't a direct comparison between SD81S and ED81S, I could still see the two versions side by side in general. Both were exceptionally light in their own classes of aperture. The SD had the logo printed differently compared to the ED. The SD115S that I saw was already equiped with the dual speed focuser because it was the owner's main scope and he had upgraded it. It was mounted on an AZ-EQ6 along with the ED81S and the owner was doing a bit of observation on the Moon. I took a quick peek through both scopes (the eyepiece used was Ethos 13mm and 21mm). Apart from the brighter image in the 115, I couldn't really tell any difference in terms of colour correction or contrast. According to the dealer, the lens in SD remained the same as the ED.

3 hours ago, KP82 said:

When I set out to get my first refractor, I initially was looking at the Vixen SD115S. My local dealer had an SD115S as well as an ED81S in their showroom. Although this wasn't a direct comparison between SD81S and ED81S, I could still see the two versions side by side in general. Both were exceptionally light in their own classes of aperture. The SD had the logo printed differently compared to the ED. The SD115S that I saw was already equiped with the dual speed focuser because it was the owner's main scope and he had upgraded it. It was mounted on an AZ-EQ6 along with the ED81S and the owner was doing a bit of observation on the Moon. I took a quick peek through both scopes (the eyepiece used was Ethos 13mm and 21mm). Apart from the brighter image in the 115, I couldn't really tell any difference in terms of colour correction or contrast. According to the dealer, the lens in SD remained the same as the ED.

Thank you very much for sharing!

What is the minimum length of the Vixen OTA for transportation? Reason I ask is you mention air travel which means (unless you are brave) the telescope will travel in the cabin with you. The FC-76DCU splits in two so it always complies with the most restrictive luggage allowance. 

55C198EC-E121-4DC4-9EE9-89201B19AD0C.jpeg.af4fd94b7743c9e104ecee32507df968.jpeg

The scope in a small camera backpack.

The Tak has wonderful quality and I am a big fan and while I cannot speak to the Vixen I am sure it is no slouch either.

40 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

What is the minimum length of the Vixen OTA for transportation? Reason I ask is you mention air travel which means (unless you are brave) the telescope will travel in the cabin with you. The FC-76DCU splits in two so it always complies with the most restrictive luggage allowance. 

55C198EC-E121-4DC4-9EE9-89201B19AD0C.jpeg.af4fd94b7743c9e104ecee32507df968.jpeg

The scope in a small camera backpack.

The Tak has wonderful quality and I am a big fan and while I cannot speak to the Vixen I am sure it is no slouch either.

Yes thanks for mentioning, the tak is really tempting, but I think I have to realize that it's outside my price range. The vixen is according to many people a great apo for the price, so I think I'm settled on that.

Maybe in the future I can afford a tak, but for now I'm convinced the vixen will serve me well:-)

58 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Yes thanks for mentioning, the tak is really tempting, but I think I have to realize that it's outside my price range. The vixen is according to many people a great apo for the price, so I think I'm settled on that.

Maybe in the future I can afford a tak, but for now I'm convinced the vixen will serve me well:-)

Victor, I think the vixen may be too long to take as carry-on. If you want to travel abroad I think I would look for an alternative such as this?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8637_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-80-mm-f-7-FPL53-Apo---2-5--Focuser.html

2 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

The Vixen SDs are indeed some of the best ED doublets, but I wouldn't say they are for those prices. That's why I went for an APM 107/700 (fpl53 triplet) instead eventually.

As for taking it inside a carry-on luggage, the Vixen like said in a previous post does not have a retractable dew shield, so its length of 585mm could be problematic. For example, the carry-on size for EasyJet cannot exceed 56cm in length and that will be a no go for the Vixen.

3 hours ago, GavStar said:

Victor, I think the vixen may be too long to take as carry-on. If you want to travel abroad I think I would look for an alternative such as this?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8637_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-80-mm-f-7-FPL53-Apo---2-5--Focuser.html

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

The Vixen SDs are indeed some of the best ED doublets, but I wouldn't say they are for those prices. That's why I went for an APM 107/700 (fpl53 triplet) instead eventually.

As for taking it inside a carry-on luggage, the Vixen like said in a previous post does not have a retractable dew shield, so its length of 585mm could be problematic. For example, the carry-on size for EasyJet cannot exceed 56cm in length and that will be a no go for the Vixen.

Hmmmm maybe i have to rethink it all again?

2 hours ago, KP82 said:

That's very true. Some airlines are even tighter. 550mm was my limit to the US on Norwegian. I copied Matthew and Gavin and bought an Airport Accelerator which took my FC100DC very nicely. I do actually think a used Televue 85 would be a great bet though if you don't want to stretch to the Tak 76, and of course it has a little more aperture which helps with planetary resolution.

5 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Hmmmm maybe i have to rethink it all again?

Unless you are dead set on getting a scope from one of the premium brands like Tak, TV, AP, etc. there are many choices in the 80mm for your requirements. 

For example:

https://www.altairastro.com/Starwave-80-EDT-R-Triplet-APO-Refractor.html

An 80mm FCD100 triplet with a more robust 2.5 inch dual speed  focuser than the Vixen. Weights only 3kg and measures only 39cm with dew shield retracted, perfect for carry on.

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

Unless you are dead set on getting a scope from one of the premium brands like Tak, TV, AP, etc. there are many choices in the 80mm for your requirements. 

For example:

https://www.altairastro.com/Starwave-80-EDT-R-Triplet-APO-Refractor.html

An 80mm FCD100 triplet with a more robust 2.5 inch dual speed  focuser than the Vixen. Weights only 3kg and measures only 39cm with dew shield retracted, perfect for carry on.

How does this look to you? The scope is included with a case which is 570mm long so it should be a better choice there. Also I wouldn't have to buy a separate case which could even out the price difference. The weight is also still quite low, and I get 10mm of extra aperture.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5964_TS-Optics-Photoline-90mm-f-6-6-Triplet-FPL53-Apo---2-5--Okularauszug.html 

25 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

How does this look to you? The scope is included with a case which is 570mm long so it should be a better choice there. Also I wouldn't have to buy a separate case which could even out the price difference. The weight is also still quite low, and I get 10mm of extra aperture.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5964_TS-Optics-Photoline-90mm-f-6-6-Triplet-FPL53-Apo---2-5--Okularauszug.html 

This TS 90mm made by Sharpstar is also a lovely scope.

Personally I've never used a TS scope (only have one of their 2.5 inch flattener). However that 90mm is made by the same company sharpstar as my APM 107 which is a very good quality triplet. 

TS scopes are nice. I have the little 72mm and find it very good, the focuser is excellent. I'm sure the 90mm would be a lovely scope, although heavier because it is a triplet so would put a bit more strain on a light weight mount. It does have the benefit of having removable sections in the tube which would help both with portability and also Binoviewing and AP. Only caution is that I think 570mm for the case might just be over most airline carry on limits, which are 560mm I think?

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

TS scopes are nice. I have the little 72mm and find it very good, the focuser is excellent. I'm sure the 90mm would be a lovely scope, although heavier because it is a triplet so would put a bit more strain on a light weight mount. It does have the benefit of having removable sections in the tube which would help both with portability and also Binoviewing and AP. Only caution is that I think 570mm for the case might just be over most airline carry on limits, which are 560mm I think?

Seems like most companies have set a limit at 550mm, but we’ll cross our fingers then;-) it is smaller on the other dimensions though so maybe that could help.

Archived