NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Scope to buy after using Canon lens

Hi all, just wanted to find some opinions on what others would look at if in my position.

At the beginning of this year I purchased an NEQ6 mount to use with my Canon 7D and Canon 400mm 5.6 lens. Got setup on Side by Side bar with Guide Scope and camera. Getting some nice results so far but looking to upgrade to the next level.

Currently looking at a Refractor to run with my DSLR. Had in mind the following - SW Esprit 100 or the William Optics GT81

The focal lengths on these are 470-550 ish so not a massive jump on the 400mm I currently have. I like the idea of the optics coming with the SW so could do some observing. Would need to get the Field Flattener also.

Will look at some point in buying a dedicated camera (Mono and Filters).

Are there any other opinions on what I should go with? Is a Triplet a lot better over a Doublet for imaging? Am I getting not much extra for a lot more money?

Any views much appreciated.

Tommy.

Perhaps consider what targets you will be aiming for.  A small increase in focal length might not change your available targets very much, but a larger increase perhaps to 700mm+ Would open up more opportunities.

Graeme

What is the reason for not wanting to continue using the Canon lens? Poor corner stars, coma etc?

I have been imaging with a Canon 500mm F/4 L IS lens from day one and will continue to do so until I stop doing astrophotography. The reason being is that it costs nothing as I already own it.

The only real benefit of going with a dedicated OTA for me is focus, since on the Canon lenses the travel near infinity focus is very short. Additionally for me, it is next to impossible to get anything close to f/4 at 500mm. However since I intend to stick with my Canon 6D for imaging I also get free remote focus...

On 30/11/2018 at 20:38, StuartJPP said:

What is the reason for not wanting to continue using the Canon lens? Poor corner stars, coma etc?

I have been imaging with a Canon 500mm F/4 L IS lens from day one and will continue to do so until I stop doing astrophotography. The reason being is that it costs nothing as I already own it.

The only real benefit of going with a dedicated OTA for me is focus, since on the Canon lenses the travel near infinity focus is very short. Additionally for me, it is next to impossible to get anything close to f/4 at 500mm. However since I intend to stick with my Canon 6D for imaging I also get free remote focus...

Stars seem fine so guess none really, other than getting a  bit more focal length. Used a 500 f4 also but without guiding so found it hard to get sharp images (Heavy Beast!). Think I have decided now to go with an ASI 1600MM Pro...did not realise you could get a dedicated adapter for it and a Canon lens.

Archived