SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neptune, First Capture

Aussie Dave

My first capture of Neptune from Saturday night.

I've always wanted to capture one of the outer planets. It was very small on live view but some blue colour could be seen. I had to use a low powered eyepiece and Stellarium to star hop to it's exact location going by patterns of stars in the sky as my goto didn't get it within the eyepiece. Through the eyepiece it looked no different to any other faint star with just a hint of light blue colour.

The image shows the approximate size of the planet on the right hand side at the telescopes native focal length of 2500mm. The image in the middle is 200% larger, with the image to the left 500% larger.

Captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert 3, wavelets in RegiStax 6, edited in PaintDotNet.

ZWO ASI224mc (5 minute video)
Saxon 8" Maksutov Cassegrain (fl 2500mm, f/12.5)
EQ6 Pro

2052455268_Neptune-Saxon8inchMaksutovZWOASI224mc-AstrophotographyWesternAustralia.png.03c343b67d3f1ed29e14bfd15e618931.png

8 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

My first capture of Neptune from Saturday night.

I've always wanted to capture one of the outer planets. It was very small on live view but some blue colour could be seen. I had to use a low powered eyepiece and Stellarium to star hop to it's exact location going by patterns of stars in the sky as my goto didn't get it within the eyepiece. Through the eyepiece it looked no different to any other faint star with just a hint of light blue colour.

The image shows the approximate size of the planet on the right hand side at the telescopes native focal length of 2500mm. The image in the middle is 200% larger, with the image to the left 500% larger.

Captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert 3, wavelets in RegiStax 6, edited in PaintDotNet.

ZWO ASI224mc (5 minute video)
Saxon 8" Maksutov Cassegrain (fl 2500mm, f/12.5)
EQ6 Pro

2052455268_Neptune-Saxon8inchMaksutovZWOASI224mc-AstrophotographyWesternAustralia.png.03c343b67d3f1ed29e14bfd15e618931.png

I thought I was caught in a hall of mirrors!

Great shooting ??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived