SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion f/5

Are the Baader Hyperion eyepieces really that bad in a fast f/5 Dobsonian?

if so,

In what department does it fall short?

and

What is the cause of the problem?

btw, I have the 13mm Hyperion that works great in my 5” f/11 Mak, but haven’t had a chance to try with the f/5 Dob yet.

Hyperions don't get a great press for use in faster instruments and there are alternatives that fair better in this regard but I only have Hyperions (well actually I also have a TV Nagler now!) and I didn't find the views in my f4.8 Newtonian to be anything but excellent but then I am not a committed observer so maybe I missed something?

Hyperions are best suited to scopes of F8 and above imho. I used them in an F10 celestron nexstar and was very happy with the views it gave.  When I got myself a F4.7 dob the views were drastically poorer and so ended up selling all my hyperions.

50 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Hyperions are best suited to scopes of F8 and above imho. I used them in an F10 celestron nexstar and was very happy with the views it gave.  When I got myself a F4.7 dob the views were drastically poorer and so ended up selling all my hyperions.

Yea, it would seem f/4.7 would be too fast to get on with the Hyperions. To think that I could possibly get quality performance from the Hyperions in my f/5 scope is likely wishful thinking.

17 hours ago, shanmac said:

Yea, it would seem f/4.7 would be too fast to get on with the Hyperions. To think that I could possibly get quality performance from the Hyperions in my f/5 scope is likely wishful thinking.

Hi Shanmac, I used Hyperions in my f/5 scope and found them soft at the edges, there are lots of other good ep's out there that will work very well.  My advice is not to risk it. 

19 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Shanmac, I used Hyperions in my f/5 scope and found them soft at the edges, there are lots of other good ep's out there that will work very well.  My advice is not to risk it. 

Yes I definitely wouldn’t take the chance on them after reading reviews and from the advice given. The fact that I already have the 13 + fine tuning ring for which I use with my mak , is why I was considering using them in my f/5. I haven’t had the chance to try the 13 out yet but it’s looking very likely it will be in the f/5 only once ☹️. Thanks for the advice rwilkey

I fully respect the above advice. However, my local club has a 16” F4.3 Dob, and the member who looks after that scope usually brings along the Hyperion 17mm to use with it.  I have to say that I’ve been positively impressed with how well the 17mm performs in that scope, especially towards the edge of field of view.

Perhaps the 17mm is the best of the Hyperions ?

Ed.

3 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

I fully respect the above advice. However, my local club has a 16” F4.3 Dob, and the member who looks after that scope usually brings along the Hyperion 17mm to use with it.  I have to say that I’ve been positively impressed with how well the 17mm performs in that scope, especially towards the edge of field of view.

Perhaps the 17mm is the best of the Hyperions ?

Ed.

There are many opinions on these Hyperions, from what I am gathering the majority 70/30 are negative in reguards to the use in a fast scope. I have no complaints when using the 13 in my f/11 mak, f/5 could be different.

I will reserve my judgment untilI I get a chance to try my 13mm out for the first time in my f/5. All that’s needed now are clear sky’s..

Well, I got to try my 13mm Hyperion out tonight. Moon was the focus as it was full and drowned almost everything else out. The Hyperion performed poorly in my Dob. Brightness was poor, and there was an obvious glow around the outer 20%. It would seem that all the advice given to avoid these in a fast scope is very good advice indeed. 

I compared every eyepiece I had, even the stock EP’s that came with my mak performed better than the Hyperion @ f/5.

My personal experience with the Hyperion in an f/5 Dob was not a good experience at all.

Archived