Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher MAK 127 corrector lens/mirror

Hi 

I have had a "small" accident with my skywatcher mak 127. Got it tipped over and I have damaged corrector lens (small area ~ 3cm2 on the side of the lens looks like it might chipped ). Any idea if I can somehow buy replacement?

or get it fixed by somebody, someplace

or it is just my luck and I would need to buy a new one? If I cannot get it fixed where could I sell it?

lots of questions hopefully someone can help.

Do you have accidental insurance cover by any chance? Might be worth looking at although the excess and subsequent premium hike may rule that out.

I would expect that replacements would be very hard to source, and you may end up spending more than a new scope just getting it fitted and aligned properly so you get a decent image.

I'm sure others will give you their opinion so wait to see what the majority say, but you may be best just to use it as it is, perhaps masking off the affected area if it is causing any artefacts. Have you tried it out since the damage?

Second hand resale value will now be very low.

I tried to use it and seems that sharpness might be a bit gone (but Saturn was low anyways so maybe its just me panicking). I will have a go with black masking tape. Thank you for that hint.

And no accidental cover unfortunately.

I would use it and only then you’ll see if there are obvious issues, you may find it’s fine visually......who am I kidding, I’d have a major wobbler, but I feel it’s what others here would tell me and they’d be right.

You will notice a cutout in the image of an unfocused star and possibly a small flare from a focused star. All else should appear pretty much as normal once the chip is blacked out.   Unfortunately, the resale value has suffered the most damage. 

1 minute ago, Grego123 said:

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give it a go and see if my double star resolution is anything what I had before.

Don't forget to check the collimation too. If the scope has had a whack then it might well be out, which would perhaos account for some softness?

Archived