Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where is polaris please.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Have you done a very rough alignment through the polarscope first? That will get you to Polaris with far more certainty to then be able to easily perform the Polemaster magic...!

I cant see polaris through the polar scope hence the polemaster :).

2 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

I cant see polaris through the polar scope hence the polemaster :).

Uh oh... you can't see Polaris through the polar scope? How come? Can you see it through the telescope? If you can't see Polaris, Polemaster isn't going to work...

16 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi,

Well I may be wrong but this is what Astrometry.net made of the image and a screenshot from SkySafari

HTH

Adrian

Looks like a tad too far to the East :)

3036557.jpeg

IMG_8208.PNG

Thanks very much, i havent seen that program. I have moved over a bit west. Any nearer please, i have lovely clear skies and dont want to miss out on a session.

Screenshot (29).png

Just now, PhotoGav said:

Uh oh... you can't see Polaris through the polar scope? How come? Can you see it through the telescope? If you can't see Polaris, Polemaster isn't going to work...

The LP from the main road street lights blows it out.

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

It is odd but I can never find Polaris when its dark, easy though during twilight or even earlier when its still daytime.

Alan

Yes i agree, i have managed once or twice in over two years at twilight, must find it now, really would like to get imaging tonight with my new Atik.

Just now, PhotoGav said:

Ah... damn! Can you plate solve an image through the scope and then see where you are on Cartes du Ciel perhaps? Then adjust accordingly? Good luck.

Sadly i'm not that far ahead yet, i cant even see how that safari works that adrenaline posted, i must get imaging lol. heeeelllllp.

3 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Sadly i'm not that far ahead yet, i cant even see how that safari works that adrenaline posted, i must get imaging lol. heeeelllllp.

Mmm, this is a tricky one! I am thinking through what is possible. In the meantime, good luck...

1 minute ago, MARS1960 said:

Thanks Gav, wish @Adreneline would come back.

The only thing I can think of is to take a picture through your scope (or guide scope if you are using one), upload it to http://nova.astrometry.net/  plate solve it and see where you are, then move the mount using the Alt and Az bolts. Run through that until you are confirmed on Polaris. Then over to Polemaster for accurate PA.

For interest, what camera / scope setup are you using and could you post an image taken through the scope?

2 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

The only thing I can think of is to take a picture through your scope (or guide scope if you are using one), upload it to http://nova.astrometry.net/  plate solve it and see where you are, then move the mount using the Alt and Az bolts. Run through that until you are confirmed on Polaris. Then over to Polemaster for accurate PA.

For interest, what camera / scope setup are you using and could you post an image taken through the scope?

Thanks Gav, i'm using my Atik and scope in my sig. Is the pic through the polemaster camera not good enough? i could take a pic using my 80D.

10 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Thanks Gav, i'm using my Atik and scope in my sig. Is the pic through the polemaster camera not good enough? i could take a pic using my 80D.

Not sure if you can output a 'plain' image from the Polemaster? If you can, that would be ideal.

9 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

PS: you should get a polemaster, they are brilliant ?.

I'll get back to you on that one :)

I'm now setup, imaging and have three 10 min subs of the Heart - not sure I need a polemaster but work on it and you may convince me otherwise ;)

24 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Wing it round to the left a bit ;)

Sorry for the delay - I was just polar aligning myself and starting an Ha session on the Heart.

:)

Lol, ok hows this

Screenshot (30).png

I think that could be it top right, it's much brighter than the other stars.  Just trying to plate solve it.

Carole 

Archived