SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Correct Voltage Eq-6

As far as I am aware either should be okay. Should be okay on voltages between 11V and 16V

From the manual:-

Output Voltage: DC 11V (minimum) to DC 16V (maximum). Voltage not in this range might cause permanent damage to the motor controller or the hand controller.

Output Current: 4A for power supply with 11V output voltage, 2.5A for power supply with 16V output voltage.

Do not use an un-regulated AC-to-DC adapter. 

If the power voltage is too low, the motor controller will stop the motors automatically.

Steve

I power my AZ-EQ6 with 13.8V from a power supply and it's fine. This seems to be a standard voltage provided by many power supplies and I know that many people use them to power mounts.

If you can choose 12V why not use it and see if the mount works OK?  I know that when I used a battery supply that the mount started playing up if the voltage fell too far below 12V.  

Maybe some more experienced members can explain why 13.8V is a standard voltage. Is there a historic reason? 

@Gerry Casa Christiana Might be worth checking your manual. My manual for the SW AZ-EQ6 says:

• Output Voltage: DC 11V (minimum) to DC 16V (maximum). Voltage not in this range might cause permanent damage to the motor controller or the hand controller.

• Output Current: 4A for power supply with 11V output voltage, 2.5A for power supply with 16V output voltage.

• Do not use an un-regulated AC-to-DC adapter. When choosing an AC adapter, it is recom- mended to use a switching power supply with 15V output voltage and at least 3A output current.

• If the power voltage is too low, the motor controller will stop the motors automatically. 

5 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Maybe some more experienced members can explain why 13.8V is a standard voltage. Is there a historic reason? 

More of a chemical or electro-chemical reason. To charge a lead-acid battery, the alternator output must exceed a certain minimum voltage, which is 13.8 volts. But at this voltage full charge will take forever. For reasonable charging times a voltage of 14.2-14.7 volts must be applied to the battery. Higher voltages than that will only increase production of hydrogen gas and not shorten charging times significantly. So for electronics to work in a car, they must accept a voltage of 11 to 15 volts. Most electronics specs state this as something like 12 V +- 20 %. Lower voltage will need more amps...

Christer, Sweden

13 minutes ago, m.tweedy said:

Maybe to compensate for power loss in the cable. 

I suppose it might help.  I've just googled and found mention that it is for historic reasons in the automotive industry concerning the battery charging voltage. 

3 minutes ago, Juicy6 said:

More of a chemical or electro-chemical reason. To charge a lead-acid battery, the alternator output must exceed a certain minimum voltage, which is 13.8 volts. But at this voltage full charge will take forever. For reasonable charging times a voltage of 14.2-14.7 volts must be applied to the battery. Higher voltages than that will only increase production of hydrogen gas and not shorten charging times significantly. So for electronics to work in a car, they must accept a voltage of 11 to 15 volts. Most electronics specs state this as something like 12 V +- 20 %. Lower voltage will need more amps...

Christer, Sweden

Thanks. That sounds like a proper physics reason. Good. 

Archived