Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky & Telescope - still a nightmare to get hold of

FenlandPaul

I’ve written before about the challenges of reliably getting hold of Sky & Telescope in the U.K. and people have kindly provided advice. Earlier this year I went back to a full paper and digital subscription, having done that before and given up. Initially the mag arrived each month within a reasonable time of the digital mag becoming available, but after a couple of months the arrival of the paper mag became sporadic to say the least. 

In fairness to the publishers, each time I called to complain, they extended my subscription for at least another month. But it’s still hopelessly unreliable.  I love the magazine - nothing in the U.K. consistently comes close in my opinion, although I still enjoy AN (other threads notwithstanding!) and S@N.

So my question to anyone who is receiving the paper copy reliably each month: how did you do it??

Thanks in advance

Paul

PS I do still get the digital copy but I find the app that’s needed to be infuriatingly slow and unreliable when not connected to WiFi.

I decided to give up the physical edition of S&T because I had the same problem as you here, in Spain. I though people involved in the delivery chain picked the issues because the envelope is transparent and the magazine is appealing. I ended up  contacting S&T every month about missing issues but every month happened the same.

I was planning about subscribing another magazine because I think quality an quantity of S&T is going lower and lower.

Have fun,

Sergio

I have to agree with you about Sky and Telescope, it was always my favourite publication. I've never had a subscription to it though as until a few years ago it was readily available on the magazine racks at my local WH Smith store. I stopped buying paper magazines a few years back as I was running out of space to store them and I started with a digital subscription to AN. I do still prefer a paper magazine though and I have actually reverted to picking up a copy of AN on a monthly basis. I was slightly surprised that WH Smith no longer seem to carry the magazine, but if they did I would definitely be buying it.

Steve

I get mine on subscription, and it is very reliable. What annoys me is I get them too early. For instance, I received the December 2018 edition on October 26th!! This is way too early, and I don't have the will power to refrain from opening it for a month. ?

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

I have to agree with you about Sky and Telescope, it was always my favourite publication. I've never had a subscription to it though as until a few years ago it was readily available on the magazine racks at my local WH Smith store. I stopped buying paper magazines a few years back as I was running out of space to store them and I started with a digital subscription to AN. I do still prefer a paper magazine though and I have actually reverted to picking up a copy of AN on a monthly basis. I was slightly surprised that WH Smith no longer seem to carry the magazine, but if they did I would definitely be buying it.

Steve

There are usually 3 or 4 copies on the shelf in the WHSmith in Fareham, Hants. I pick one up on the way to my favourite cafe on the weekends :)

Have you tried requesting that they reserve you a copy?

On 03/11/2018 at 19:49, Pompey Monkey said:

There are usually 3 or 4 copies on the shelf in the WHSmith in Fareham, Hants. I pick one up on the way to my favourite cafe on the weekends :)

Have you tried requesting that they reserve you a copy?

That is interesting....I had assumed that WH Smith had ceased stocking this across the country, which is clearly not the case. I will pop in later and see if I can get them to reserve me a copy. Thanks for the info?

Steve

I used to get the digital edition but since they stopped PDF and went to Zinio the magazine seems erratic at best (no sign for instance of the Decmber edition despite the paper edtion being out for some weeks) I have cancelled my subscrption to S&T after many years of getting it. I may occasionally now look at it if I see it in a newsagent but to be honest it has been going down hill for a while.

Owen

Archived