Blinking planetaries !

cotterless45

Kick off 5.30 and four hours before the gibbous moon kicked off.
Seeing started as pretty poor. In the East , tight binaries were clacking together. It improved later on , but gave a chance to observe and admire some current planetary nebulae. These were all without filters using a 120mm aperture mask .
Really surprising how they vary in brightness and size . I kept to x92 to get contrast in light edge of town skies. Some took x200 , such as NGC 6543. They blink well in the field and view and are obviously non stellar in a sharply focussed field.
Some great colour here , ending up with the "Blue Snowball". I got M57 at x 240, the whole glow just filling the view. Clear skies !Nick.IMG_6441.thumb.JPG.bfff4b51b88c295fda3ab0b388b1fb8c.JPGIMG_6440.thumb.JPG.7cefa27cbce5d6c8b61a75f82f86f649.JPGIMG_6442.thumb.JPG.355c0435662f778dff77f814c992c8a4.JPG

Here's Rob's superb guide , can't get the link up through gremlins.
  1. PlanetaryNebulae Chapter 1: Historical Background Messier - The Unknowing Discoverer At the end of its lifetime the Sun will swell into a red giant, a moribund star hundreds of millions of kilometeres in size, expanding out beyond the orbit of Venus and Earth. As it burns through its fuel, the Su..

Don`t think I can get any of those here except M57 and NGC7662 as they are the brightest hoping to get out tonight weather permitting get my son help me set up.

I`ve got that list you posted it to me got it in my viewing list folder.

It is great what you can get from yours being on edge of town.

Archived