Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

North American Nebula?

edarter

Well we are due a clear night in the south of the UK tonight and I'm keen to have a go at a target. Our garden faces west with views across to south and north. Looking at mobile observatory app it looks like there are not many targets available yet over this side of the sky, but north American nebula should be visible. Is it a target worth me having a go at though with a modified eos600d? I have a SW 130pds on an neq6.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, edarter said:

Well we are due a clear night in the south of the UK tonight and I'm keen to have a go at a target. Our garden faces west with views across to south and north. Looking at mobile observatory app it looks like there are not many targets available yet over this side of the sky, but north American nebula should be visible. Is it a target worth me having a go at though with a modified eos600d? I have a SW 130pds on an neq6.

Thanks

Stellarium is a nice app to explore the skies from the PC and look for the new targets. If you will place your rig details into it, - it will even show you the frame of your picture.
I am almost sure, you will manage to see Wizard, Veil, Crescent, Elephant's trunk and Heart Nebula, and a bit later in the night (around 3.30AM) -  maybe Orion will be reachable from your place.
From your set up, - it looks like all of them will fit in your frame perfectly (I have almost the same).
P.S.

You can also try https://dso-browser.com/deep-sky/search 
but It has not stuck with me for some reason.

yeah - a bit worried about how bright the moon will be but keen to have a go at something just to get some practice as I've not really done much in the last 18 months.

Thanks all, looks like there should be some targets for me to aim for!

Archived