Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why can't i see M51

58 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Yeah, i need a few trips out this season. And as much as i agree with the statement, i'm not always a fan of its use - it isn't always possible to get away from home (maybe you don't drive, or have children/other commitments), and when you can't, you want to be able to maximise what you can do from the back garden.

Agreed! Dark sky trips are great, but not always possible with family commitments so finding ways of maximising what you have available is very important.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, John said:

M51 is not difficult to see with a small scope when it's high in the sky.

Currently it's pretty low though and low targets have their brightness extinguished more by the atmosphere. Stellarium approximates this as an option and right now (for example) it indicates that M51 has "lost" around a magnitude because of it's low elevation.

When Canes Venatici is riding high in the sky (say, by the end of February ) this target should be somewhat easier to pick up.

M51 and NGC 5194 remind me of a pair of ghostly "eyes" peering back at me when I've seen them with small scopes. With a 20" dobsonian at the SGL star party a few years back, they looked like this :icon_biggrin:

sn2011dh_1.gif

Spot on with that post John. 

I've had by far the best views of M51 at the end of february and the image above is how it is in a larger scope. The detail from a dark site is astonishing and one of my most abiding memories of this hobby.

From the Isle of Skye last month I could make out the spiral arms and bridge but being so low the easiest way I can describe the view was like looking at it in standard definition compared to the full HD views when it rides high in the sky. 

Looking through the murk low down is always best avoided for any target. 

2 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Spot on with that post John. 

I've had by far the best views of M51 at the end of february and the image above is how it is in a larger scope. The detail from a dark site is astonishing and one of my most abiding memories of this hobby.

From the Isle of Skye last month I could make out the spiral arms and bridge but being so low the easiest way I can describe the view was like looking at it in standard definition compared to the full HD views when it rides high in the sky. 

Looking through the murk low down is always best avoided for any target. 

Need to put a date in the diary for Feb then! We can head to our dark site to have a gander at it :)

I agree that it is not practical often to get under dark skies for many of us and we do need make the best of the conditions we have at home. If you have observed under dark skies, the difference can be a bit of a shock though.

My 12" dob shows the spiral structure of M51 and it's surrounding halo of stars quite clearly under a really dark sky. At home it takes a really good night to clearly see this structure and hints of the "bridge" between M51 and NGC 5194. It's still worth observing at home of course, as are many other galaxies.

Archived