Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet 38P/Stephan-Oterma spotted

After a long wait for Gemini to rise, I managed to spot my 20th comet tonight. Comet 38P/Stephan-Oterma is no easy target when low in the sky, but I managed with my Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars after a number of abortive attempts. It appeared as a faint, fairly compact, hazy ball below Alhena (gamma Geminorum). Before catching it, I had amused myself with the usual targets of the Pleiades, M36, M37, and M38 is Auriga, M15 in Pegasus, and of course several galaxies like M81 and M82, and M31 and M33.

I hope to get a better view of the comet when it is higher, but not tonight, as I have to drive part of Robert's football team to their cup match tomorrow morning. Still, I am well pleased spotting comet number twenty.

22 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

Thanks for the report Michael, and observation of a 10th mag. comet in binoculars.  Comet  64P in Andromeda might also be possible, near in brightness and well placed.  Hope to see them in the autumn skies soon.

andrew

Thanks for that, I might have a go at 64P next time

39 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Hmm sounds like I’d have to be up really late for that one, I might wait too! Possible in 15x70s do you think?

If you have clear, dark skies it should work, if I can get it from suburban skies. The moon is a problem, of course, and it will get worse before improving.

Good catch Michael, 38P/Stephan-Oterma is nicely placed between Alhera and Alzirr in Gemini tonight so will have a try for it.

I've never actually counted up how many comets I've imaged, must have a check.

Dave

6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Waited until 3.00am for the Moon to recede and had a go with 11x70s with no luck then tried DSLR on WOZ61 and no sign of it either.

Dave

Odd, that. When I looked the moon was much further away, less bright, and had almost set. The object was difficult, but I spotted it five times in averted vision before calling it a successful observation. It is listed as mag 8.6, but it seemed fainter.

Just checked Stellarium and it's showing 38P in a completely different spot than it did last night at the same time so no wonder I couldn't find it :icon_scratch:

It should have been lower centre of this image according to Stellarium, will try a different site tonight if it's clear.

Dave

38P-2.thumb.png.d828a99007d2e45294a4a95c2a86df70.png

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Just checked Stellarium and it's showing 38P in a completely different spot than it did last night at the same time so no wonder I couldn't find it :icon_scratch:

It should have been lower centre of this image according to Stellarium, will try a different site tonight if it's clear.

Dave

38P-2.thumb.png.d828a99007d2e45294a4a95c2a86df70.png

I always use the charts from the Skyhound comet chasing page. I have never found them to be inaccurate. Better luck next time (clouds here for the foreseeable future)

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I always use the charts from the Skyhound comet chasing page. I have never found them to be inaccurate. Better luck next time (clouds here for the foreseeable future)

Thanks Michael, clear here ATM but don't know how long it will last, had a look at the Sun with the LS6ODS not much to see, a few small proms and one bright patch.

Dave

Archived