Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon D7200 Vs D7500

knobby

Hi all, I'm looking at rationalising my cameras, I have a D5300 that I use for astro and a D7100 for daytime.

The D7100 is noisy so not good for astro and I want to get one camera for both.

After reading the excellent post by @MikeODay on the D7500 I'm not sure what to do now ...

Any thoughts greatfully received.

Thanks

You have the 7100 which is 'noisy' and you're now considering the  merits between the 7200 and 7500? 

I'd have to study the latest Nikons, as no doubt they'll out perform ( as technology improves ) my old faithful D5000, which only gets a sneak preview of the Moon now and then through my Dob. 

I know there's one Nikon that's 'dedicated' to astrophotography, but has an astronomical price to match (pun intended).

Ok, a quick check shows that the D7500 ( over the 7200, but I'm sure you meant 7100?) has a lower resolution sensor, by some 4 million pixels, which is not massive, but the ISO is  wider,   an extra stop up to ISO-50 to 51.000 and extended to over 1.6 million!!!!!! 

I love the swivel screen on my D5000 and there's a similar setup on the D7500, great for this awkward angle shots? and the loss of a memory card  slot may be an issue for some folk?

4 hours ago, andy fearn said:

The screen flip's out the back and not to the side which i thought would be better. 

Cheers Andy for the correction,  I misquoted earlier saying  'similar setup'?......its not quite the same!
Yes, both  screens flip out, but the difference is clear, now that I've had more time to study. 
The tilt only option of the D7500's screen would limit my choice ( that feature alone )  considering the articulation I'm used too with the older D5000.

• 2 weeks later...

I would stick with your D7100 over the D5600, its a more pro body, has a better focus system, more metering options, better control setup, is weather sealed (lens dependant). I tend to jump a generation or 2 when upgrading, last one was a D90 to the 7200.

Archived