Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A special thank you from the students and teachers at CIS

PaulUns

Thank you for your warm welcome for our students and generosity of spirit, time and knowledge throughout the weekend. 

As you gathered quickly at the quiz, as a teaching team we were lacking in some astronomical fundamentals and you all helped to fill in the gaps and shared such a wealth of information with them.

Thank you Grant for not being scared when I emailed about the school and helped us with our convoluted booking.

A special thanks also has to go to the keen astronomer who has inspired them to aim for a £2,400 telescope!!! ? 

The students came away with an excitement and enthusiasm which will hopefully transpire into a lifelong passion for astronomy.

Thank you! 

Kate and the CIS team

re the quiz you didn't get the help you may have hoped for from the other people on the table you chose to sit at, us being novices in the hobby but we had a laugh while losing spectacularly. It is good they are so inspired can i recommend a series of lectures starting with the very basics that are on youtube this is the link to the first of the series the others can easily be found from here i hope they are of some help to them. 

if your students are doing any fundraisers for equipment im sure there may be people on here happy to help.

Oops, sorry Paul ;)

It was very nice to meet the students, they were very enthusiastic and keen to learn; even sitting patiently watching me struggle with an awkward scope trying to collimate it and asking questions.

It’s a shame the skies did not play ball, the experience of observing under a proper dark, clear and transparent sky is in another league from our cloud dodging efforts last night, so I hope they get to see that soon.

It was a pleasure having you with us :thumbsup:  I just wish the weather had been better for you to get more Wow moments!  If you need any help with follow up, good resources etc please just give us (or me) a shout, we'd be really happy to help!

Helen (who did the rockets etc)

PS you might want to join the Faulkes Telescope Project - that way you get access to big scopes (remotely) without having to buy them!!!  Lots of great education resources too.  http://www.faulkes-telescope.com/   [They are having a website hosting issue at the moment, so if a link doesn't work just leave it a couple of days and try again - lots of frantic work going on behind the scenes to get it sorted out!]

Helen

On 14/10/2018 at 18:34, PaulUns said:

Thank you for your warm welcome for our students and generosity of spirit, time and knowledge throughout the weekend. 

As you gathered quickly at the quiz, as a teaching team we were lacking in some astronomical fundamentals and you all helped to fill in the gaps and shared such a wealth of information with them.

Thank you Grant for not being scared when I emailed about the school and helped us with our convoluted booking.

A special thanks also has to go to the keen astronomer who has inspired them to aim for a £2,400 telescope!!! ? 

The students came away with an excitement and enthusiasm which will hopefully transpire into a lifelong passion for astronomy.

Thank you! 

Kate and the CIS team

They did have a little, tiny bit of help on the quiz ? but answered a lot themselves.

Really pleased they enjoyed it, shame about the weather but it will be clear next year !

Archived