Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 1200D astromod

Snooze

Hello everyone,

I got a 1200D for a nice price on ebay and was thinking about modding it. I found some nice tutorials(lifepixel) and videos that I can follow to perform the mod. My questions are:

1. Since it will be purely used with lenses, will I be able to reach focus after the mod if I don't intend to replace the IR filter?
2. As I understand, there are 2 filters in front of the sensor. Should I remove both of them or only one? Would removing only one help achieve focus?
3. I will also use a clip in CLS filter. Will it help reduce star bloat since I'm not replacing the IR filter?

Cheers

Removing the one filter will give you more red sensitivity. Unless, like me you do spectroscopy, leave the dust/ anti- alias filter.

I also use the CLS for focusing standard lenses, BUT you should be aware that the auto-focus will not work. This would require re-setting the position of the sensor in the body.

If you remove both filters I believe you will need the CCD type clip in filter.

Some schools of thought say remove both some say only one.

When you open up your camera and get to the bit where you remove the actual camera chip there will probably be 3 shims ( there are on a 450D) these are what are used to position the chip with regards to focussing . I think if you don't re shim correctly then you will lose auto focus capability.

I know that if you remove both filters then you will definately need to do this if you need auto focus.

Also remember that if you remove both filters the camera chip will be exposed so probably best to keep a clip in filter fitted to the camera body at all times.

Thanks for the replies guys. :) From what I have gathered from your replies I will try to remove only 1 filter. I don't really care about autofocus since the camera will only be used for astro work after I mod it :D

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

So I did the mod but things did not go as planned. ? I cracked the LPF1 filter when trying to remove the filter holder. So in the end I just removed everything ? I tried to focus on the moon(with the CLS filter clipped in) and it focused a little before infinity :D Now my only concern is star bloat ? 

Aye, with both filters removed you ideally need the CLS-CCD clip, or you can try adding a standard UV rejection filter on the lens (cheapie off eBay does the job for me), with a standard CLS clip in the body... but you may get reflection issues with some lenses / targets.

Word of warning: with both internal filters gone, avoid using with _no_ clip filter unless you want to become proficient in sensor cleaning!! My full spectrum 1000D hoovers in dust and has to be cleaned after every session if I'm shooting bareback.

18 hours ago, Marci said:

Aye, with both filters removed you ideally need the CLS-CCD clip, or you can try adding a standard UV rejection filter on the lens (cheapie off eBay does the job for me), with a standard CLS clip in the body... but you may get reflection issues with some lenses / targets.

Word of warning: with both internal filters gone, avoid using with _no_ clip filter unless you want to become proficient in sensor cleaning!! My full spectrum 1000D hoovers in dust and has to be cleaned after every session if I'm shooting bareback.

Will the UV filter be enough to control star bloat? There are some cheap UV/IR cut filters on ebay but they don't mention at what wavelenght the cut off starts. ?

Archived