Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Converting a Celestron 9x50 finderscope to a guidescope

souls33k3r

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

I totally get that Gina but my question was with regards to the issue of focusing the oag (guide and main camera) during the day time when the max distance I will be able to see and focus both the main camera and guide cam is about 200m and that’s it. I know the recommendation is something that is a mile away 

Even 200m will get you in the ball park area. Then use the moon or a bright star. 

• Like 1

For setting up the OAG you can focus the scope on anything (200m will be fine) and then adjust the OAG.  As you change focus from near(ish) to infinity the OAG focus will go with it.  That's one of the advantages.l

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gina said:

For setting up the OAG you can focus the scope on anything (200m will be fine) and then adjust the OAG.  As you change focus from near(ish) to infinity the OAG focus will go with it.  That's one of the advantages.l

Got it. Will try that tomorrow if I get a chance. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

For those like me coming to this thread late.... the folks at All-Star telescopes in Canada (https://all-startelescope.com/) made me a 3D adapter for $30 CAD  ~ 17 GBP. The Celestron 51611 and SkyWatcher have "identical" threads of   BOTH outside. M51 x 0.75     T Thread: M42 x 0.75

Just have to be gentle and patient screwing a plastic thread into a metal receiver. 
And yes, that is a Meade DSI 1 imager from 2004. Plenty good with phd2 guiding on a Star Adventurer. 

Clear skies and bolides for all !
Alister

Finder2guidescope_adapter_3Dprint.jpg

Finder2guidescope_comparison_1440.jpg

Finder2guidescope_final_1440.jpg

Old thread and slightly unrelated answer but I just wanted to point out there's two variants of the SW finder. One with a diagonal and one without. The one with the diagonal has a shorter tube so probably would require and extension to be used as a guide scope.