Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how to image a comet

iwols

hi all seen some great images of comets lately,and just wondered if it is possible with my ed80 heq5 and 414ex ccd,but wouldnt know where to start ie when is one due ,how fast do they travel and do i need to track them same as with a dso object,are they long exposures,like i say dont know where to start any advice cheers

Having failed miserably to image 21P/GZ last night I may not be the best person to offer advice :grin:

Your setup should be fine, presumably you can enter co ordinates manually into the handset, you can get these from Stellarium.

Generally comets aren't travelling very fast across the FOV so once you centre it it will stay.

I use a DSLR or OSC as it saves a lot of faffing about in post processing but if you like that sort of thing there's no reason not to do RGB.

Exposure maybe 30secs / 90 secs bit of trial and error.

If you figure out which way it's going you can move the comet to one side of the frame and do a time lapse across the FOV, just needs a bit of experimenting to gauge the movement.

DSS has a comet stacking feature to keep the comet sharp and blur the stars you can again mess around in P'Shop or suchlike to process it.

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Having failed miserably to image 21P/GZ last night I may not be the best person to offer advice :grin:

Your setup should be fine, presumably you can enter co ordinates manually into the handset, you can get these from Stellarium.

Generally comets aren't travelling very fast across the FOV so once you centre it it will stay.

I use a DSLR or OSC as it saves a lot of faffing about in post processing but if you like that sort of thing there's no reason not to do RGB.

Exposure maybe 30secs / 90 secs bit of trial and error.

If you figure out which way it's going you can move the comet to one side of the frame and do a time lapse across the FOV, just needs a bit of experimenting to gauge the movement.

DSS has a comet stacking feature to keep the comet sharp and blur the stars you can again mess around in P'Shop or suchlike to process it.

does cartes  du ciel do it like stellarium?

3 hours ago, iwols said:

Do they travel quick enough in a 30 sec image to see movement? Or see that its a comet and not a star

Their apparent speed across the sky depends on their distance from Earth, anything from 30 sec's to 5minutes will show movement, you can generally see it's a comet in a 30 sec's exposure as it looks like a fuzzy star and hopefully shows a bit of a tail.

Dave

Archived