Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Difference between Sky-Watcher Star Discovery and AZ-GTI

mankind-nil

Could someone briefly outline the main differences between these two mounts for me please?

As far as I can tell, they both seem to do the same thing, and have the same payload capacity...?

I've got a 130/900 Newtonian that I'm considering putting on one as our current EQ2 mount is a bit tricky for the young'un to use.

Thanks in advance!

The AZ GTi has a built in wifi whereas the Star Discovery uses the add on Synscan Wifi module.  Both have the option to use the standard Synscan handset. The SD uses a stainless tripod similar to that of the EQ5 and HEQ5 , the tripod supplied with the AZ GTi looks less substantial but you can buy the mount separately and use your own photographic tripod. The AZ Gti looks more compact so easier to transport.

I have a Star Discovery and think it is a great mount, although it doesn't have wifi and uses a handset instead.

Be aware that to mount your reflector onto either of those you will need to fit a dovetail bar to the scope. 

(or you can do what I did when I found this out, and buy a new scope too)

44 minutes ago, cv01jw said:

I have a Star Discovery and think it is a great mount, although it doesn't have wifi and uses a handset instead.

The wifi module can be bought separately and it plugs into the mount (I think it's compatible, though check). Buying your mount today now comes with the wifi module but no handset.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

The wifi module can be bought separately and it plugs into the mount (I think it's compatible, though check). Buying your mount today now comes with the wifi module but no handset.

OK, thanks - didn't realise that.

Archived