SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pelican with a side of North American Nebula

jjosefsen

IC5070 The Pelican Nebula

Framing was a little off on this one, but by the time i found out, I was already committed! Initially I thought I could get "the wall" in the same frame as the "The Pelican Nebula"..

This was also my first real project with my new EQ6 mount, and the host of new Software that followed suit (EQMod, CdC and N.I.N.A.), so a lot of stuff to learn and play around with.

I used my brand spanking new 2" Baader Moon & Skyglow with the modified Canon 600D, and I really think it helped with LP and contrast in general. It managed to do this withour nuking the colours like my CLS-CCD filter does, so well pleased with that purchase!

I tried processing with a synthetic luminance this time, and Deconvolution and sharpening is certainly much easier to do with monocrome data!! It took a while to get a good result with LRGBCombination in PI, it turns out the RGB and Lum needs to similarly stretched, and I was overdoing the Lum..

As usual keep large stars under control eludes me.. :( It probably doesn't help that I usually have high humidity here..

Total integration: 3,9hrs

More details here: Astrobin

All in all not too bad, and a lot of lessons learned..! :)

Ad astra and clear skies!

LRGB_NonLinear_Web.png

I don't think the framing is too bad ... you have the two objects in context. And the "pelican" nature of the object is obvious. If that was taken last night, the moon would not have helped either, despite the filter.

3 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

All in all not too bad

Couldn't agree more.

9 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I don't think the framing is too bad ... you have the two objects in context. And the "pelican" nature of the object is obvious. If that was taken last night, the moon would not have helped either, despite the filter.

Couldn't agree more.

There was less moon, it was imaged earlier this month. I think I murdered the lum background a little with the noise reduction..

Probably the last OSC image from me for a while, as I am dabbling in mono.. ?

Colors were a little more vibrant on my monitors at home, now that I am at work, it is looking a little bland..

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, peter shah said:

Nice to see it in RGB.... really nice shot

Thank you. I still struggle a lot with star bloat, not sure how to deal with it. I am already masking off stars when stretching and applying morphological transformation to reduce the sizes.

I think high humidity played a role in this particular image, but to what extent.. ?

Archived