Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Battery - pfffffft

So my Celestron Powertank has now given up the ghost after 4 years of service leaving with only my Tracer LiFePO4 12V 24Ah Battery Pack. to run my mount, powered USB hub, camera and laptop?

I'd like to buy a second battery but unsure what to go for. 

Another Tracer or some other sort of leisure battery?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Lithium is the way to go.

Power to volume and power to weight ratios beat everything else by a mile.

Lithium works in extreme cold where others (particulalry NiCd/NiMH) get sluggish.

The overcharge and over discharge protection always included with lithium ensures you can never do anything to wreck the pack.

Lead acid is a Victorian idea that had it's day long ago. Unfortunately much of the lead acid you can buy retail/online nowadays is built down to price so you get awful reliability.
This not going to improve.

Any lead acid left unattened for 3 months should be regarded as dead.
NiCd or MiMH is usually marginally better.
Lithium has a very low self discharge rate, so a battery left unattended for a few months will generally survive unscathed.

The only downside of lithium is the cost - easily recovered by one 'forget to charge' with the lower cost chemistry.

Anything at my home, whether it be astro kit, torches, drills, etc is going over to lithium. The change being done as batteries or equipment expire.

Hope this helps, David.

Archived