NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M45 with QHY8

Beyond_Vision

Second image from Friday nights session :) . I thought I would have another bash at seven sisters with my QHY8 as my last attempt was at Kelling was with my DSLR.

Exposure 2 hours 40 mins (16 x 10mins subs).

Taken with a APM TMB 105, Televue 0.8 FF/FR, QHY8 CCD and guided with a 102mm Bresser/DSI-II using PHD. Stacked in DSS Log(Sqr Root) curves applied, Dynamic Background Extraction in Pix Insight LE and finished in PSCS3 with Noels Actions.

9778_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

DSLR image below taken at Kelling Heath

8994_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards

Kevin

Great Kevin, really like it.

Which do you prefer? Which was easiest to process? Any chance of putting the two side by side for a direct comparison?

It's definitely easier to use the DSLR in terms of not needing a PC to run it and also you can get a much better feel of how the subs are going from the DSLR screen. The visualisation on the CCD program is only black and white and looks nothing like as clear as on the DSLR. The CCD is easier to use when focusing as the update rate and also the FHWM info aid in focusing. With this object being a blue reflection nebula the only real advantage of the CCD is the lower noise due to cooling. But I have found that the 400D at ISO800 to be quite good when darks are used.

Regards

Kevin

I know which I prefer out of the two (400D), but like you say, the skies are very different. I think with the DSLRs, iso800 is the best compromise. I suppose also the 400D has nearly twice the resolution of the qhy8. It certainly looks a lot cleaner and crisper.

Archived