Nelly got some Sii

simmo39

Well I managed to bag some Sii data last night despite some self inflicted wounds and the wind! I got only 15 x 300sec with not the best guiding to add to mt Ha and Oiii stuff. This imy first attempt at the Hubble palette with my own data so be gentle with me. Not sure if I got the mix exactly right as it seems a bit greenish but I do like the result.

29823113487_c5df3fb88c_b.jpg

Any hints and tips would be most welcome.

Thanks for looking.

43 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Well I managed to bag some Sii data last night despite some self inflicted wounds and the wind! I got only 15 x 300sec with not the best guiding to add to mt Ha and Oiii stuff. This imy first attempt at the Hubble palette with my own data so be gentle with me. Not sure if I got the mix exactly right as it seems a bit greenish but I do like the result.

29823113487_c5df3fb88c_b.jpg

Any hints and tips would be most welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Nice image. Give this website a look and give it a try

http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

That's a nice image. Creating a flat background can be a pain with nb images. I dometimes do a quick dbe and stretch the result. If I then still find gradients, I undo the stretch and redo dbe. But I may use the stretched version to place new sample points.

To get a more Hubble like colour scheme, use scnr with its default settings. This will give you those golden hues.

56 minutes ago, wimvb said:

That's a nice image. Creating a flat background can be a pain with nb images. I dometimes do a quick dbe and stretch the result. If I then still find gradients, I undo the stretch and redo dbe. But I may use the stretched version to place new sample points.

To get a more Hubble like colour scheme, use scnr with its default settings. This will give you those golden hues.

Thanks Wim, will give it ago. At the moment Im just trying out a HOS version just to see the result.

32 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

There is some really great detail in there! The colour palette just doesn’t seem to be there yet for my tastes anyways

Thank you, Yes im struggling to bring out a lot of the colour on SHO version. Each time i play with it I gain in some areas but loose in others, still on a steep learning curve.

I agree, a bit overstretched. Narrow band is difficult because there really is no reference in the image: no background that is neutral, and no white balance for the stars. And since the image is filled with nebulosity, removing gradients can be a real pain. In DBE it's difficult to place markers to get a flat image. Otoh, if gradients aren't removed properly, processing is an "upphill battle", to freely quote Steve Richards. In your image, it looks as if you have gradients in your masters, because there is colour variation, where this is lacking in other images of the same area.

9 hours ago, wimvb said:

I agree, a bit overstretched. Narrow band is difficult because there really is no reference in the image: no background that is neutral, and no white balance for the stars. And since the image is filled with nebulosity, removing gradients can be a real pain. In DBE it's difficult to place markers to get a flat image. Otoh, if gradients aren't removed properly, processing is an "upphill battle", to freely quote Steve Richards. In your image, it looks as if you have gradients in your masters, because there is colour variation, where this is lacking in other images of the same area.

Hi Win, I think I like the third version better the last one was just far to over stretched. Im not sure where the gradients on the masters are coming from as my flats and darks look ok but I must admit this is still something Im not totally au fait with. I think some more playing with the data is called for.

9 hours ago, peter shah said:

super detail..... yes a little green but 1396 eats up S2 and O3  frames so can be quit difficult to balance with the much stronger Ha

Hi Peter, thank you. Yep struggling to get my head around processing narrow band.

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Peter, thank you. Yep struggling to get my head around processing narrow band.

Dont think of narrow band like you do RGB where you need to get almost an equal amount of frames and exposure to get a good colour balance. The object will tell you how much S2 and O3 exposure is needed. You may need three or four times as much S2 as Ha  and the two or 3 times with the O3. If you were to go onto a different object then it might be completely different. Just keep plugging away at the frames until you have enough signal. 

53 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Dont think of narrow band like you do RGB where you need to get almost an equal amount of frames and exposure to get a good colour balance. The object will tell you how much S2 and O3 exposure is needed. You may need three or four times as much S2 as Ha  and the two or 3 times with the O3. If you were to go onto a different object then it might be completely different. Just keep plugging away at the frames until you have enough signal. 

Yep I think I know what you mean. The one thing Im finding about narrow band is the look I like doesnt suit everyone. I think Im going to have to learn that my taste of colours and depth is not for everyone and if i like where i am with an image thats what you are going to get. I realy like this camera, the detail is outstanding I just need more nights to use it! lol

3 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Yep I think I know what you mean. The one thing Im finding about narrow band is the look I like doesnt suit everyone. I think Im going to have to learn that my taste of colours and depth is not for everyone and if i like where i am with an image thats what you are going to get. I realy like this camera, the detail is outstanding I just need more nights to use it! lol

You quite often see the green taken completely out....Personally I think there should be a good balance but only where it needs to be 

On 19/09/2018 at 21:23, simmo39 said:

Ok, final go......

LOL! The number of times I've said "This is my final process of this..." and then a year later I look at it again having seen other examples and completely redo it ?

This is looking really good - but I don't stop processing until I get a wide range of results noting methods as I go - I'm sure you will too ?

David

If you want to remove the green, use SCNR green without a mask set at Average Neutral 100%.  Works like a charm.  I usually do it right after the initial stretch--but it will work any time in the non linear state (maybe in linear too-but I have never used it then).

Rodd

3 hours ago, Rodd said:

If you want to remove the green, use SCNR green without a mask set at Average Neutral 100%.  Works like a charm.  I usually do it right after the initial stretch--but it will work any time in the non linear state (maybe in linear too-but I have never used it then).

Rodd

Hi Rodd. Thanks for the pointer. Will give it a try.

Archived