Lodestar X2 on a tight budget !

Spaced Out

Hi all

I’m looking for a guide camera to use with an OAG at 1000mm but I’m on a limited budget (currently £300). I know everyone raves on about the lodestar x2 but it is out of my price range at the moment.

I am wondering if there are other cameras worth considering within my budget or if I should just hold off and save up some more for a lodestar x2 ?..... or is there something better than the lodestar available at a similar price ?

I currently use a QHY5l-II-C for guiding with an ST80 guide scope, it isn’t perfect but it sort of works ok. I haven’t tried the QHY5l-II-C with the OAG yet but I suspect this camera won’t be up to the job ? I’ll be trying it out on the next clear night anyway but from what I have read online people seem to struggle to find stars. I’m making an assumption that the lodestar x2 would be much better ?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Hi all

I’m looking for a guide camera to use with an OAG at 1000mm but I’m on a limited budget (currently £300). I know everyone raves on about the lodestar x2 but it is out of my price range at the moment.

I am wondering if there are other cameras worth considering within my budget or if I should just hold off and save up some more for a lodestar x2 ?..... or is there something better than the lodestar available at a similar price ?

I currently use a QHY5l-II-C for guiding with an ST80 guide scope, it isn’t perfect but it sort of works ok. I haven’t tried the QHY5l-II-C with the OAG yet but I suspect this camera won’t be up to the job ? I’ll be trying it out on the next clear night anyway but from what I have read online people seem to struggle to find stars. I’m making an assumption that the lodestar x2 would be much better ?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

I use a Lodestar X2 but also use a ZWO120M and have great results from both.  Yes, the Lodestar is more sensitive, but I've not had any issues finding stars with the ZWO.  GPCAM cameras are also very similar to the ZWO and very competitive.  I think using a mono camera will help, but that doesn't mean the colour one won't.

2 minutes ago, Craney said:

Thanks, that's certainly interesting.

At the moment I'm sort of thinking if I am going to spend a few ££ then I'll probably try to get the best tool for the job, so I am thinking a mono lodestar x2 for OAG use, not sure how the colour superstar would stack up against that with the OAG tho ?

15 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Thanks, that's certainly interesting.

At the moment I'm sort of thinking if I am going to spend a few ££ then I'll probably try to get the best tool for the job, so I am thinking a mono lodestar x2 for OAG use, not sure how the colour superstar would stack up against that with the OAG tho ?

My personal advice would be to use mono for guiding if you have the option.  Colour will indeed work, but mono will almost certainly work better.

Keep an eye on ABS as Lodestar X2's do come up for sale from time-to-time. 

Just now, RayD said:

My personal advice would be to use mono for guiding if you have the option.  Colour will indeed work, but mono will almost certainly work better.

Keep an eye on ABS as Lodestar X2's do come up for sale from time-to-time. 

Thanks, this is the way I am starting to think too. Everywhere I have looked people suggest that Lodestar X2 mono is the right tool for the job.

I'll keep saving and keep an eye on ABS, any idea of the going rate for 2nd hand Lodestar X2 ?

2 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Thanks, this is the way I am starting to think too. Everywhere I have looked people suggest that Lodestar X2 mono is the right tool for the job.

I'll keep saving and keep an eye on ABS, any idea of the going rate for 2nd hand Lodestar X2 ?

I would say don't get too fixated on the X2 as, whilst they are very good (I have 2 of them), other cameras will offer perfectly adequate performance, as is the case with the ZWO 120M I also use.

I think the last one I saw was up for about £300, so anything between this and £350 for a mint one would be about right.

6 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I have a ASI120mm and have no problem with a piggy back scope. Out of curiosity, what is so special about a Loadstar to warrant the cost?

Really just the sensitivity of the sensor, which is excellent.  It is well made and comes with the SX software, which I guess you are also paying for, but primarily the sensor.

7 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Out of curiosity, what is so special about a Loadstar to warrant the cost?

Basically the sensitivity of the sensor, the QHY5 uses an AptinA CMOS the  latest Loadstar 2 uses the Sony Exview  11 ICX829 and is twice as sensitive as the Loadstar 1, so the better the sensor the more it costs.

Having said that the QHY5 is fine for most applications the Loadstar comes into it's own for OAG use

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived