Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Bat, The Elephant, The Lobster and The Bubble

I'm having great fun using the 55mm Takumar, grabbing huge swathes of sky in one go ?

Here's a cropped two panel mosaic that I've tackled recently - each panel was captured with the QHY163m (15 x 600s), Baader 7nm HA filter, Super Multi Coated Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens @f/2.8 and Nikkor ED180 f/2.8 @f/3.46 (for individual nebula detail) on top of the HEQ5. Processed using PI, Registar, PS and Straton.

I really need to make an aperture mask for the 55mm...

Just a bit of fun but really pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks for looking

Rich 

Cepheus-Lacerta-Cassiopeia-Richard_Lawrence-Day.thumb.jpg.c2abf9860d429ee75b85d203ce06dc46.jpg

53 minutes ago, peter shah said:

what a stunning image, It really put everything in its place

Many thanks Peter, I'm really enjoying the perspective that these very wide images give, your very kind words inspire me to continue along this path ??

17 minutes ago, tomato said:

Wow, that's really impressive in full screen mode. I know very little about lenses, would I be correct in saying the ones listed are quality items, the detail in the image is certainly top notch.

Thank you very much! Yes, the Super Multi Coated Takumar 55 is a lovely old lens that can be had for around £40 and the Nikkor 180 is superb, even with RGB due to it's ED elements.

Stop both lenses down a tad and they are razor sharp, although accurate focus can sometimes be challenging at these f ratios. The smaller pixels of the QHY163 help greatly as well ?

Archived