Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unable to update SynScan V3 hand controller

msacco

On 11/11/2018 at 20:19, Atreta said:

Mine didn't work when the update failed, it was taking a long time for the controller to boot and eventually give an error. I had to connect it to an old computer with a serial port and the update finished and the controller got working again. 

Yep, same.

• 1 year later...

I wish I'd read this before I tried updating my V3 hand controller. Similar symptoms; tried twice. Now it's completely dead.

I've resisted the temptation to update for years, (ain't broke, don't fix)  but integration with a ZWO ASI AIR was proving difficult and it seemed this might be a fix. 

Live and learn... and pay for it!

6 hours ago, conspicuity said:

I wish I'd read this before I tried updating my V3 hand controller. Similar symptoms; tried twice. Now it's completely dead.

I've resisted the temptation to update for years, (ain't broke, don't fix)  but integration with a ZWO ASI AIR was proving difficult and it seemed this might be a fix. 

It may not be dead, have you tried plugging it to a computer with a serial port? I think you havea good chance to get it back to work. 

19 hours ago, conspicuity said:

What type of computeer do you have? If it's a desktop PC you may be able to add a com port adapter for a few quid if the motherboard has the pin connector present.

Thanks guys.

It gets weirder.  I'll finish the story in case it helps someone else.

I worked through my various USB to RS232 options until I found one that the firmware loader was happy with. The loader made two attempts to update (erasing the ROM first) before the controller went dead, I tried several times to resurrect it either stand-alone or connected to a PC. No signs of life at all so I ordered a V5 controller from FLO.  The application of cash seems to work by dark magic, because when I then tried again to resurrect the controller (illogical, I know, but...) it sprang back to life and updated the firmware. 

The bit that might be of use to someone else is this: I started on version 3.27 firmware. Connected to an ASI AIR, I found guiding very good in dec but erratic in RA and no amount of tweaking settings made any difference. I also had a few instances of unexpected mount movements, plus some functions (such as manual slewing through the AIR app) not working, and occasional uncommanded resets by the controller. All very perplexing. Now the controller is on version 3.39. I haven't been able to check the RA guiding yet, but everything else in AIR app is working smoothly and I feel confident. So, if you're thinking of adopting the AIR, or have one that doesn't seem to be working correctly, it's worth checking your controller firmware. If you decide to update it, I wish you the best of luck!