Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation Query - SCT/EdgeHD scope

Hi All,

I thought i'd check first before embarking on this wonderful journey of collimating my EdgeHD 8" SCT scope.

The other night i was out and while the star field was out of focus i noticed that the star in the middle looked alright to my untrained eye but the out of focus star in the bottom left corner had a bump on one side (say 2 o' clock) and the out of focus star in the top right corner had the bump in the opposite side (say 8 o'clock).

My friend said this is normal but i just wanted to be doubly sure about this.

If so then my next question is, the same friend lent me his artificial star which i'll make use of to finesse the collimation. When i am doing collimation routine i place that artificial star in the center of the frame and work on that and make that right. Should i ignore what the out of focus stars would look in the corners regardless of how out of collimated they look?

Just need to get my head around this. 

Many thanks in advance.

As I am thinking of getting a Celstron 9.25, can I just be rude/ out of order, please and ask how it is you start collimating one of these type of telescopes, I have no idea.  As my wife is always telling me! ?

I could start another completely new thread, but somehow this seems more efficient and not really off topic from the OP, honest...

( Just delete if it annoys Mods! ?)

4 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

As I am thinking of getting a Celstron 9.25, can I just be rude/ out of order, please and ask how it is you start collimating one of these type of telescopes, I have no idea.  As my wife is always telling me! ?

I could start another completely new thread, but somehow this seems more efficient and not really off topic from the OP, honest...

( Just delete if it annoys Mods! ?)

Not rude at all.

I think the best advice i can give you is by going to youtube and type "SCT Collimation". The very first video is by "Astronomy and Nature TV" with the title called "Collimating your Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope in just a few minutes". That will help you understand on how to do it :)

Hope this helps

Archived