NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Nebula processing help: Lum from CCD and RBG from DSLR

For the time being I am trying to capitalise on having a dual rig setup.

I'm using one scope with  a mono CCD Atik 383L+ and the other scope with a modded Canon 40d.

I collected 18 x 900s mono, and 38 x 300s ISO800 colour on Monday night.

I've tried processing the data, and at least I have achieved something that I feel is a decent start with the 383.

I guess what I really want to find out if there is any merit in my endeavours using the Mono and DSLR.  If anyone would mind having a look at the data I would be grateful.

I've cropped and aligned the two stacks, apart from that there are unprocessed.  These are attached below.  Any my attempt has also been attached.

Many thanks

Adam

ATTEMPT_01.jpg

STACKED_COLOUR_UNPROCESSED_CROPPED.tif

STACKED_LUM_UNPROCESSED_CROPPED.tif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm, not a good alignment job I'm afraid. Size of tiffs differ and "blinking" them causes stars to jump by few pixels.

Why do you work with 16bit data for processing? What is the output of your stacking routine - 32bit or 16bit? If you are using 16bit precision for stacking, you might want to try 32bit all the way - it will prevent some losses in data precision and improve SNR a bit.

15 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Hm, not a good alignment job I'm afraid. Size of tiffs differ and "blinking" them causes stars to jump by few pixels.

Why do you work with 16bit data for processing? What is the output of your stacking routine - 32bit or 16bit? If you are using 16bit precision for stacking, you might want to try 32bit all the way - it will prevent some losses in data precision and improve SNR a bit.

Sorry did alignment quickly on lunch, its a bit tricky given the difference sensor dimensions and pixel sizes!

I work with 16bit because PS doesnt allow me to work with 32bit.  Most options are greyed out when I have it in 32bit.  It comes out of DSS as 32bit.

14 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

The 2 tifs a a tad out of alignment, but I nudged them together in PS and then a quick levels and curves gave me this...

proc.thumb.jpg.b36582a320af97f5b65deb05da50d787.jpg

I'd be happy if it was my data, although there is some horizontal banding in the colour

Thanks so much! Yes the moon was up and i was using a DSLR for the colour.  Hopefully there is a way to remove the colour banding. 

37 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks so much! Yes the moon was up and i was using a DSLR for the colour.  Hopefully there is a way to remove the colour banding. 

The astro actions in PS did reduce them, so it looks like this setup can produce useable data! Nice

I use a dual rig and wouldn't be without Registar for combining images. it just does it, every time.

Your mono camera will out-gun your DSLR in terms of SNR so I would run the DSLR all the time but shoot some colour as well from the CCD, rather than only usng it for Lum.

Olly

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I use a dual rig and wouldn't be without Registar for combining images. it just does it, every time.

Your mono camera will out-gun your DSLR in terms of SNR so I would run the DSLR all the time but shoot some colour as well from the CCD, rather than only usng it for Lum.

Olly

I’m just a tight git ?

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

@Xiga data here 

Thanks Adam. Hopefully i'll get some time to have a go later tonight.

Just a thought though - I know it would mean uploading a fair amount of data, but it would be useful to be able to d/l the individual subs, including calibration files. That way we could try stacking and aligning them ourselves and we might get a better idea of how far the data can go. It would certainly be a lot easier to process if we had perfectly aligned Ha and Colour files. If you'd rather, I don't mind doing the 2 stacks for you in APP and you could post them instead?

2 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Thanks Adam. Hopefully i'll get some time to have a go later tonight.

Just a thought though - I know it would mean uploading a fair amount of data, but it would be useful to be able to d/l the individual subs, including calibration files. That way we could try stacking and aligning them ourselves and we might get a better idea of how far the data can go. It would certainly be a lot easier to process if we had perfectly aligned Ha and Colour files. If you'd rather, I don't mind doing the 2 stacks for you in APP and you could post them instead?

I could indeed but I don’t want to trouble you too much. I’ve also got a good few hours of the Iris nebula over the past few night. It’s a dark neb too isn’t it!

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I could indeed but I don’t want to trouble you too much. I’ve also got a good few hours of the Iris nebula over the past few night. It’s a dark neb too isn’t it!

It is indeed. Look forward to seeing it!

ps - I really don't mind doing the stacks so if you change your mind just let me know ?

41 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Where can I upload the data to? Just on here?

I personally use Microsoft OneDrive, but as vlaiv says any of those other ones would work just fine.

It would also be a good idea to group the files together into a single zip file first, that way it will only be a single file we need to download.

36 minutes ago, Xiga said:

I personally use Microsoft OneDrive, but as vlaiv says any of those other ones would work just fine.

It would also be a good idea to group the files together into a single zip file first, that way it will only be a single file we need to download.

Ok I’ll try to do that when I get home. 50mb versus 2mb internet at work. 

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Ok I’ll try to do that when I get home. 50mb versus 2mb internet at work. 

Wow, 2Mb sucks. And there was me thinking our 28Mb was bad!

Your upload speed will be even worse, mind. You might consider copying the zip file(s) onto a big USB pen and bringing it into work to upload.

Adam,

I may also have a go at it since your idea is the same as I have had for a ong time. Using a DSLR or OSC on a dual rig to collect the RGB and then use a mono camera on the other scope to collect Lum, Ha or other NB, and then find a good way to merge it.

1 hour ago, Xiga said:

Wow, 2Mb sucks. And there was me thinking our 28Mb was bad!

Your upload speed will be even worse, mind. You might consider copying the zip file(s) onto a big USB pen and bringing it into work to upload.

It’s 50+ at home lol. Work is sloooow.

24 minutes ago, gorann said:

Adam,

I may also have a go at it since your idea is the same as I have had for a ong time. Using a DSLR or OSC on a dual rig to collect the RGB and then use a mono camera on the other scope to collect Lum, Ha or other NB, and then find a good way to merge it.

I’ll post the link to data?

28 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I’ll post the link to data?

For me to have a first try it would be fine with tif files, one of your stacked mono and one of the stacked DSLR. I think you can just drag the data files into the attach window here. I will try to use PI to align them.

1 hour ago, gorann said:

For me to have a first try it would be fine with tif files, one of your stacked mono and one of the stacked DSLR. I think you can just drag the data files into the attach window here. I will try to use PI to align them.

Hi Goran.  Edited this post!  Here are the stacked files straight out of DSS untouched, the top ones were aligned, converted to 16bit etc.

Autosave001.tif

Autosave.tif

Archived