SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn which moons are visible 8" dob

PaulM

Which moons of Saturn are visible through an 8" dob? When I last observed on the 1st Sept I could clearly see Titan and spotted 4 other faint points of light not sure if these are background stars or other moons

I’ve seen 5 in a 4” refractor before so I’m sure the 8” would match or beat that. There aren’t so many background stars of that magnitude and brighter around just now, although it would still be possible to miss identify one.

In the frac, I found low power views were most successful, along with minimising light scatter as some of those close to the planet are hardest. In the Newt, cooling and collimation will be key, but it sounds like you are doing ok in that respect :)

Best bet is to map where you can see them, then check against an app such as Saturn Moons or SkySafari. The benefit of SkySafari is that it does show those background stars. The moons in this map are shown with the large dots, stars are pin points 

0BCC338B-9F67-4386-9F52-0DE77EE41999.png

Rather than mapping them first, I prefer to do a quick sketch of what I see (just an ellipse for Saturn & x's for other points of light) and the compare with CdC afterwards. That way I know I am actually seeing them rather than persuading myself that I am seeing them. But whichever works for you.

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Rather than mapping them first, I prefer to do a quick sketch of what I see (just an ellipse for Saturn & x's for other points of light) and the compare with CdC afterwards. That way I know I am actually seeing them rather than persuading myself that I am seeing them. But whichever works for you.

Thats great advice. I follow the same approach for Neptune and Uranus as well. Trying to avoid the trap of "averted imagination" :icon_biggrin:

Cartes du Ciel is an excellent tool to confirm observations I've found. This online applet is good for Saturns moons as well althoug Iapetus is often off the field of view of this one:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/observing-tools/saturn_moons/saturn.html

Enceladus is a good test of scope, eyepiece, conditions and observer. It's fairly faint and often close to the planetary disk so can get lost in it's glare. Low light scatter optics help here.

21 minutes ago, John said:

averted imagination

What great terminology ... will probably steal that now ...

22 minutes ago, John said:

Enceladus is a good test of scope, eyepiece, conditions and observer.

I don't do a lot of visual, but when I do it is with the 8SE & my 14mm Pentax lens (133x). And, as you say, I have always found it difficult. The other 5 are all relatively easy, although Iapetus can be easy to miss being a lot further from the planet (I suppose one reason for plotting it in advance) and depending on which side of the planet it is on.

22 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Rather than mapping them first, I prefer to do a quick sketch of what I see

Yep, when I said mapping, that is just what I meant. Work out where you think they are first, then check against the app or CdC.

Archived