Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help to mod Mak Newt to achieve focus with flip mirror

HI I have just started using a 200mm Skywatcher Maksutov Newtonian and have had to ditch my trusty flip mirror so can no longer quickly switch form eyepiece viewing to imaging.. 

I am not so keen to get the drill out until I know exactly what I am doing!.  With my old 10 inch ancient scope I move the focuser and spider and it worked fine.  I have a feeling of dread about attempting the same thing on  the new scope as its  still looks prestine. 

Is the simplist mod to raise the primary mirror.  I I need somehere between 5 and 10mm to achieve focus.  I have attached some pcitures!

You can see the 50mm tube extender I am using to achieve focus.  This is just a bit smaller than the flip mirror. 
I am also a little concerned about clearance and obstructing the path to the CCD.  The question is do I just live with this or is it worth butchering the scope to give me back my flip mirror whcih I enjoy!

image.png

image.png

image.png

Shortening the distance between the primary and secondary, in order to create the back-focus you need is OK in a regular Newtonian, but in a Mak-Newt you need to maintain the correct distance between the corrector and the primary as well. Raising the primary will not do that (although 5mm might not be a big deal). I wonder if a lower profile focuser wouldn't be the better solution

Great suggestions.  I think i might go with a high quality low profile Crayford focuser. 
But might just see if I can bring it in by winding in the primary mirror to see if I can get it in. 

I get the point about not disturbing the secondary / correction plate and the margin I have toplay with wont be big!

I also like the idea of the turret but am unsure if these can be engineered well enought for 2 inch camera loads.

As Michael HFW says the primary to secondary distance is crucial to the coma performance.

But are you imaging out to the edges of the field?

If not 5mm of mirror movement might not impact on the area you're using.

Why not try it, counting the screw turns so you can get back to normal ?

Michael 

Just now, Ricochet said:

It does, but there are no secondary spider adjustment thumbscrews and there's a schott glass logo stamped on the side.

Yes I noticed that. Confusing isnt' it ?

I guess a photo down the tube would confirm the design 100%.

Maybe a 190mm Mak-newt optical set has been re-housed in a conventional newt tube ?

Archived