Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horizon Tue 7th

DaveS

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's not that long ago that the scientific community was saying the sun was a large mass of burning coal :)

I also didn't manage to get through the whole programme though I did manage to get further than most because the style of the programme was what I have come to expect of late.

In an ideal world, the BBC would be looking to educate as well as entertain. Unfortunately, it prefers to dumb everything down and pander to the lowest common denominator, which neither educates nor entertains.  I gave up watching anything “scientific” on the BBC soon after Sir Patrick Moore died.

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:07, Gina said:

The Jupiter programme improved but still too much daft associations.  The whole scientific content could have been condensed into around 10-15 minutes, possibly less.  The problem I find with this type of programme is that you can't tell the difference between real images taken by spacecraft or probe and CGI.  They rarely tell you what's real and what isn't.

I

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:07, Gina said:

The Jupiter programme improved but still too much daft associations.  The whole scientific content could have been condensed into around 10-15 minutes, possibly less.  The problem I find with this type of programme is that you can't tell the difference between real images taken by spacecraft or probe and CGI.  They rarely tell you what's real and what isn't.

I actually thought it was OK. I think it would have been interesting to a wider audience than people who are astronomy enthusiasts. That is quite valuable because it could bring new blood into our hobby.

I agree with Gina that it would be helpful if they distinguished between real images and CGI's

I thought it quite informative despite the stirring sound track and silly games. I agree with Gina though that it really could have been edited down to about 20 mins. I wasn't aware of the rocky core theory. I remember hearing once that had Jupiter been slightly more massive it might have achieved nuclear ignition. Now that really would have brought the orchestras out on Horizon. 

Archived