NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Obscure Planetary nebulae ... no more than dots!!

swag72

While imaging Sh2-124 I never dreamed that I'd get anything more in the frame than the target itself.... While processing the data I came across a larger blobby star and so I decided to take a closer look. Sadly PI annotation fails miserably at this sort of stuff and so I had to load the image into Aladin and take a look at what the 'blob' was in the Sinbad catalogue. Imagine my surprise when I found that I'd got three PN's in the frame. OK they are nothing more than a dot and can easily be considered a star when examining the frame, but I thought it was quite exciting nonetheless!

Am I going to turn the long refractor on them? No chance! They'll probably still be nothing more than a blob!!! 

I've annotated the Ha image so that you can see them.... don't expect much! But at 330mm what more could we expect? I will certainly be chucking all of my images into Aladin for a look see from now on..... who knows what can be seen!! In fact I am warning you now that the annotated and highlighted image is hardly worthy of any sort of imaging topic in it's own right..... so I do apologise for that. 

My point was more that we just don't know what's out there :) 

annotate PN's_SGL.jpg

14 minutes ago, davew said:

It will be interesting to see what comes up on the OIII subs if you decide to do them to the same view and level.

Dave.

Thete was nothing glaring in the plate solve that was missing from the Ha data...  are you thinking perhaps these planetary nebs may show something else? I do have OIII of course but didn't look closely at them ?

14 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hope you've not been melting where you are, Sara!

Louise

I sure have been....... we've  had a max temperature in the shade of 39.8 degrees...... thankfully it's cooled by a few degrees today and we're  forecast for rain and cloud for the rest of the week ????

26 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I sure have been....... we've  had a max temperature in the shade of 39.8 degrees...... thankfully it's cooled by a few degrees today and we're  forecast for rain and cloud for the rest of the week ????

Oh, not too bad then :D

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

Thete was nothing glaring in the plate solve that was missing from the Ha data...  are you thinking perhaps these planetary nebs may show something else? I do have OIII of course but didn't look closely at them ?

I was hoping they would stand out a bit more and even show some slight colour when combined. If you've not seen any OIII blobs then it's unlikely they will.

Dave.

15 hours ago, davew said:

I was hoping they would stand out a bit more and even show some slight colour when combined. If you've not seen any OIII blobs then it's unlikely they will.

Dave.

They did show some colour, well the one on the right did as I only noticed this towards the end of processing as it was standing out quite considerably.

Archived