Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hooking up DSLR to small telescopes?

I've got a couple of telescopes, both of which are around 100 pounds. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to hook up a small DSLR camera to my 100mm tabletop reflector(Orion skyscanner 100)via a T-adapter? I know for sure that my Celestron astromaster 70az won't be able to handle the weight of the camera or is even structurally strong enough to do so, but how about the tabletop?

Only one way to find out - nothing to lose if you have the T-Ring already and it may well be more stable that the other scope. However, what might be more important is whether there is enough travel in the focuser to reach focus? Hopefully someone with a similar scope will be able to confirm? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2018 at 16:39, Nerf_Caching said:

I've got a couple of telescopes, both of which are around 100 pounds. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to hook up a small DSLR camera to my 100mm tabletop reflector(Orion skyscanner 100)via a T-adapter? I know for sure that my Celestron astromaster 70az won't be able to handle the weight of the camera or is even structurally strong enough to do so, but how about the tabletop?

Hi, I used to own a Sky-Watcher 70az which is a twin of the Celestron 70AZ. I managed to hookup my Canon 550D to it using a T-Ring and even though I had to tighten the altitude knob to its max, it held up and I was able to take a daytime shot of the half moon. This was way back in 2010-'11.

I think there are two issues with the Skyscanner: 

• The focuser body and draw tube are both plastic with a bit of a sloppy fit. The weight of the dslr will induce some flex here. I don't recall there being a focus lock either so the weight might cause the draw tube to move. 
  • The amount of in focus needed is more than the length of the draw tube so you will only be able to reach focus with a barlow. 

The barlow sold by FLO as "astro essentials" has a t-thread and so might be part of a solution with your dslr. I think @Lockie has (or had?) the Skywatcher version of the scope and was trying to get it going for EEA so he may be able to advise on that sort of set up. 

Archived