Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn & Mars 05/08/18

Yawning Angel

Saturday the 5th, both Saturn and Mars finally presented themselves in my southern 'window', and the weather for once was favourable. I got set up, with time to spare while Saturn was getting ready to enter the stage from behind the curtain of next doors house.

Now, when you set up a telescope on your driveway, people notice. Queue the first question of the evening -

"Is that a telescope?"

Much as the sarcastic answer was bubbling away trying to escape my mouth, we had a nice chat about Saturn and Mars for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, unnoticed, a bank of cloud rolled in to neatly cover the 10 degrees of southern horizon I needed. There was (internal) swearing!

Never mind, a cup of tea later and a glimmer started to show through clear bands in the sneaky clouds - Aha, we might be ok after all! And we were - plagued a little by clouds, wobbly seeing, street light and curious dog walkers I managed my first time both observing and imaging these gems of the night sky

Celestron C8 / AVX mount, ZWO ASI120mc-s, ZWO ADC (first light - nice kit!). Stacked 15% from around 5000 frames each in Autostakkert 3, Wavelets to taste in Registax and a dash of PS

saturn.png.e0a5976ec9d12baadf80ca2b25a1d9d9.png mars.png.339d88f8032fb2c9953dbf35d40f00e5.png

and a shot of mars 'down the barrel' - streetlights and all

IMG_3213.jpg.e5b2a8e5812ad71295a3c8f230632cbd.jpg

Great report. This 'out in the street' has been mine, and I'm sure many others setup stage for Mars this year!. I ended up moving the rig three times down the close to keep visuals. :)

We are quite new to the area also.. what people must think!.. lol Good fun though

Archived