NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yet another battery box

dyfiastro

Hi everyone

I am looking to get a second mount over the coming months for at star parties and events etc...
The first problem that I knew that I needed to solve was power.
I managed to get my hands on a set of batteries from an old mobility scooter which was being thrown out and they charged and seem fine.

original.thumb.jpg.d0844ac66cb3c45a7dda9530733a4310.jpgbatteries.thumb.jpg.205187db597025fd9ccbc27a089400b5.jpg

The original plan was to use a old plastic toolbox, however it quickly become apparent that the clips seemed very weak and may break with the weight.
After a little digging around and a message to a mate I came up with a better housing solution.
A small amazon order and a day later everything arrived to begin the build, Cutting the holes actually ended up being easier than I thought.

side.thumb.jpg.04f87a3444be7f178c9092c8bf2cf520.jpgfront.thumb.jpg.c04facb8db129bfe6f3ed9e456cbad72.jpgwiring.thumb.jpg.4f83d16992d7a1969902cdc307651366.jpg

The batteries are wire in Parallel and depending on the state of the batteries offer a maximum of 44Ah.
I have a step up buck converter that needs to be fitted at some point so I can power a laptop etc... but waiting for the connectors to come for that.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Mark

36 minutes ago, Gina said:

Is it alright to put lead acid batteries in parallel?

Don't see why not, solar arrays have loads joined in parallel.

Note charging instructions, leave the lid open

Dave

batteries.thumb.jpg.205187db597025fd9ccbc27a089400b5.thumb.png.db40bb3024b66e9783dc1bd95733001a.png

Thanks everyone.

I very nearly painted the tin but I think having the original stamping adds this little extra.
As far I am aware running Lead acid batteries in parallel does not pose any issues, I also fully intend to charge the batteries with the lid open.

Lead-acids in parallel is fine as long as they are the same type and capacity. Just charge each separately before connecting in parallel to avoid one discharging into the other if they have different charge states. Also wire each battery direct to the junction box with the same size/length wire to give balanced charging. If you connect the batteries together and then run wires from one battery to the junction box, the wire resistance to the 'furthest' battery will be higher so when charging in parallel the battery 'closest' will get a higher charging current.

Alan

Archived