Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need advice on telescopes!

Thanks, I have ruled out everything with EQ. I know that I don´t have the time to learn all that. The problem is when you find a scope that you think is the one, you find another one that may be better etc.  Star Discovery 150i was from beginning my choice. But I really like the size of the SW127. I was also looking at NexStar 4SE, but it seems that the SW127 is better then 4SE?  
500 is a lot of money, so would like to make the right choice (if there is any) :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portability, travel, what do they mean to you?

When you say travel abroad are you driving or flying?

I don't think personally the 4SE has anything over the 127mm, and has a less flexible mount (by flexible I mean versatile).

This is the field of view difference between the 150p and 127mm. Inner blue circle is 127mm outer is 150p using GSO 32mm eyepiece. The object is m45 but you won't see the nebulosity through the eyepiece. You can make a dew shield out of rolled up stiff card or camping mat.

IMG_20180731_090911.thumb.JPG.9bc45ce6ceca643599ddafb858864a2a.JPG

As John mentioned each will have strengths it is which fits your needs better. There are videos on YouTube on both the telescope and mounts you are considering, take your time and get comfortable with your choice.

I am a beginner.  I get on really well with my 8" Goto Dobsonian 200P Flextube (easy storage).  It took me a while to realise, but it is focal length and EP selection that really seem to Govern how close you can see, not necessary how big the mirror is.  The bigger mirror becomes more useful when you want to see objects that are fainter to the naked eye.  I've got a much smaller telescope too 400mm focal length and have been surprised that I can still get a decent view of the planets with it despite the much smaller size.  I imagine a Skywatcher Dobsonian 130P would suit you both really well or maybe even a smaller desktop version like the Skywatcher Dobsonian 100P - these are easy to run outside with get viewing quickly which is important with a young person as their attention span will quickly wane if they are not seeing anything.

Also, I would look at the pictures on the first page of this thread before you buy anything:

Thank for your advice. There so many different dimensions that you need to take into consideration when buying a scope. To be honest I do not want to buy something for 100-150€ and next years looking for a new one. I like 8" Goto Dobsonian 200P but its too expensive for me and I need to forget the "Portability".

By "Portability" I mean that I would like to take the scope with me when I am traveling abroad like next year I am going to Texas, soon I am going to South Africa etc. 

I have been contacting with two online stores and they are recommending CELESTRON NEXSTAR 127 SLT with GOTO mount because it is more stable and easier to align than a SkyMax-127 with AZ GTi mount. Both scopes seem to be similar but the 127SLT do not have "Freedom-Find". If I really want a SKyMax-127 there is one with GOTO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html  which is much cheaper than with AZ GTi. 

However, FLO advises me to look for 102 SLT since it is better "better all round use telescope". 

Now I have been talking to some more expert. I have ruled out the Star Discovery 150i and are now choosing between Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 with AZ GTi and Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT with GOTO (with control). The scopes are very similar. I was told that I can use a reducer that would convert 127 into a f/7.4 instrument closed to the 150i ( not sure if I understood it right though). v

The price for SM 127 is 468 and 127 SLT is 465 (with wifi adapter around 600). 

AS GTi is a newer mount and more compact with Freedom-Finder but no control (only wifi). How is important or fun is the wifi function?

It easier to align with 127 SLT. 

Some say that the Celestron mount is more stable and other say that AZ GTi is better? 

What do you advise on this two scopes? 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-skymax-127-az-gti.html 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/celestron-nexstar-127-slt.html 

Which have better supplies? 

There is also https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html which is cheaper but don't have the red-dot finder. 

Do you own either an Android device or ios device?

I realised you may not have known that was how you control that mount.

one of those using the skywatcher free application is used to control the az-gti though it has freedom find to.

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Do you own either an Android device or ios device?

one of those using the skywatcher free application is used to control the az-gti or just use it manually by hand as that is also what freedom find allows which is handy if batteries go flat.

I have both Android (Samsung S9) and iPhone X, Ipad and Mac Pro :)

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Just pointing out something you were not made aware of.

Go with what feels right for you as it is your money and you using it.

I appreciate it. Any thoughts on the supplies which is included? 

I think I would read user reviews on all the mounts you are considering to get a feel for use. The az-gti isn't perfect some miss using actual buttons as you can't feel where they are on a screen, some love freedom find, some love the nexstar mounts. It's about what will work best for you with your son to enjoy observing. The sky isn't going anywhere so there's no need to be hasty.

Optically there is nothing to choose between the Celestron 127 SLT and the Skywatcher Skymax 127. They are the same scope made in the same factory to the same standards. Both brands are owned by Synta. The main difference is the mount.

The Celestron  Nextsar is the same mount as the Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan AZ GOTO, again same mount same factory. In the UK the Skywatcher AZ version is 70GBP cheaper and all you lose is a few Orange markings and a slightly different handset design/software. So if you were going for the Celestron shop around for the Skywatcher version as it may be cheaper.

If it was me, I would be tempted to go for the GTi as it has the freedom find feature which will make it easier as a beginner. You could also hook it up to the SkySafari planetarium app later without any extra hardware. Obviously you are paying extra for the latest mount tech, but for me it is a choice between the Skywatcher versions and dump the Celestron unless you really like orange!

35 minutes ago, IanL said:

The Celestron  Nextsar is the same mount as the Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan AZ GOTO, again same mount same factory. In the UK the Skywatcher AZ version is 70GBP cheaper and all you lose is a few Orange markings and a slightly different handset design/software. So if you were going for the Celestron shop around for the Skywatcher version as it may be cheaper.

The two mounts are visually similar but entirely different. in every other respect.

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The two mounts are visually similar but entirely different. in every other respect.

Having used them side by side, I don't agree that the differences are anything like as material as you state. Tracking accuracy, payload capacity, stability (the tripods are identical) are perform the same in use real world use, especially for a beginner.  I cannot see any reason why one would pay the extra. The motors and motherboards might be different, I haven't taken them apart to compare, but it's academic since there is no practical difference to the end user.  The Celestron handset did have the edge with extra alignment methods, but a lot of that was patched in the the SkyWatcher handset a few years ago.

I will concede that the Celestron has a couple more ports and out of the box computer control, plus if you want to add Starsense later it is the only option for this class of mount. On the other hand if are willing to pay an extra 70-100 quid and don't want to add Starsense later, then you might as well go for the GTi as it is a better option again.

Archived