Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner question: cleaning a Canon DSLR *sensor*

After using my DSLR being used for numerous long exposures without an Astronomik clip in filter (next job!), I want to look at my Canon sensor, and assuming there are a dust specs, remove them.

Please comment on my proposed plan:

• I will NOT touch the sensor with anything - cotton buds, brush...
  • Instead I plan to use my compressor with air gun with the camera body held upside down and mirror lock applied obviously. NB I will use it on a gentle output - not the usual higher flow used in my metal workshop!

Thanks in advance.

Never use your compressor to clean the sensor unless it delivers air clean enough for a clean room. Even then I wouldn't do it.

+1 for the  air bulb. There are many different ones available.

Also, when you blow the air onto the sensor, make sure the sensor is pointing down otherwise you just end  up distributing the dust around .

The air bulb will only blow surface dust off and that in all honesty will have little or no effect. If you can see dust spots in your photos, you need to take more drastic action.

If you have a dirty sensor (you will not be able to tell just by looking with your eyes unless you use a jewellers loupe), you either need to get it cleaned professionally or buy a proper sensor cleaning kit.

I got my sensor cleaned by London Camera Exchange and they did an excellent job. They also sell the sensor cleaning kits.

Tony

A few light-years back, whilst owning 2x Pentax ME-Super bodies, (35mm SLR), I noticed some dust on the mirror on one of the bodies. I had a can of compressed air & isopropyl liquid and thought that they would clean them. Big mistake. The air propellant left a residue on the mirror & prism and made it worse when I applied the isopropyl on a cotton wool swap. In the end I got both bodies cleaned by Pentax at the same time and l then sold them.

I'd purchase a rocket blower as above and try that first to try to remove any dust.

Any reason you don't want to use the "proper" tools for the job? Some eclipse fluid on a sensor swab is the best method for removing anything stubborn on the sensor. Don't use cotton buds, it will almost certainly make it worse. The swabs are designed to be used in one sweep to eliminate streaks etc.

Your first attempt may not be successful but after a couple of goes you will get the hang of it...

Failing that get it done professionally.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2018 at 18:44, StuartJPP said:

I'd purchase a rocket blower as above and try that first to try to remove any dust.

Any reason you don't want to use the "proper" tools for the job? Some eclipse fluid on a sensor swab is the best method for removing anything stubborn on the sensor. Don't use cotton buds, it will almost certainly make it worse. The swabs are designed to be used in one sweep to eliminate streaks etc.

Your first attempt may not be successful but after a couple of goes you will get the hang of it...

Failing that get it done professionally.

This is definitely the correct method. However, if you can't see dust bunnies in your photographs, the sensor doesn't need cleaning. 

Archived