Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars Composite Images 21 July

orion25

These composite images were taken from video shot on the Orion StarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera (top) and the Orion Deep Space Camera II (bottom) with my Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak from 29 June to 21 July, processed in Registax. Slightly more dark detail was visible visually on the 21st compared to a week earlier; the area appeared almost like a shadow on a bright, almost white orb. I couldn't see much albedo in the polar regions through the scope. Transparency was very good and seeing improved from average to very good as Mars gained elevation. The Orion 5MP camera revealed some faint dark regions but very little polar albedo on 21 July:

1766903925_ASTRONOMY-MARS(5MPCOMPARISON)6-297-067-137-21-18CAPTION.thumb.jpg.39bd79e46c71ffadb128e925b02b30f8.jpg

The Orion Deep Space Camera II didn't reveal as much dark detail as the 5MP but captured some polar albedo on 21 July:

855843648_ASTRONOMY-MARSCOMPARISON(DSCBARLOW)6-106-297-067-137-21-18CAPTION.thumb.jpg.27eea2bc22445a9bb2e6ed749076e1b1.jpg

Excited about my newly-arrived Celestron Mars Filter, I was able to compare it with the Orion offering. By looking at the two filters side by side, the Celestron (left) appears lighter in color and pinkish whereas the Orion filter (right) has a rich, purplish hue: 

1753948493_MARSFILTERCOMPARISONBSM.thumb.jpg.70468b86c514bd2adec2dc6db238d656.jpg

The Orion filter also has a slightly bigger housing. No threading problems with the Celestron to any of my EPs (mostly Orions, a GSO, a Meade, and a BST), and each filter can be attached to the other if so desired for a hot pink experience, lol. In practice (through the scope), however, I couldn't see any noticeable color difference (at least on Mars, I didn't compare them on anything else). As far as detail, the Celestron initially seemed to have the slight edge, but as the night progressed, I could see less difference between the two (possibly eye fatigue). There was some light scatter with both filters but not too bad. I even stacked the two which gave Mars a deeper pink hue and slightly more contrast in the dark regions but still ghostly. With Mars being so bright, pale and un-Mars-like in color, the filters actually made it look more natural!

LESS THAN A WEEK TO OPPOSITION! ?

Reggie

4 minutes ago, des anderson said:

Well, someone has a good time.......With Mars. Not so good here,cloud and more cloud. Nice of you to share your views on the two filters. Also great images. Des

Thanks, Des! I had been dealing with rain and cloud for several nights until the sky cleared early on the 21st. Hope you get clear skies for the opposition. :) 

Reggie

Archived