Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

5" Mak vs 8" SCT

Hello,

Currently I have a good 5 I use it "Mak-Cass Sky Watcher model ...., I use it mostly for lunar and planetary observation, some observation of double stars, some time ago consult here, in this forum, if really it was worth changing to a 6 "Mak, there was no consensus really, it was not very clear ..., now I ask again for advice on whether it is worth changing to an 8", in this case an SCT ...
I will notice difference in the images (I only observe in visual) of the planets and the moon?
Currently I observe with binoviewer, it would be possible to use this accessory with model 8 "SCT as with 5" Maksutov ..?
Thank you
Paul

I have a couple of 5" Maks and three 8" SCT's, so far I've always seen more lunar and planetary detail with the SCT's, the Mak tends to show tighter star images if that is an important consideration. No problem in using binoviewers in a SCT, in fact it's mandatory for the best lunar and planetary performance.  ? 

If you have a good mount that can take it I’d go with the an 8” SCT. If not then I’d go with the 6” Mak. Although I’ve never owned a 6” Mak and can’t compare the views from both scopes so far I’ve not been disappointed with any views in the SCT, although you do better better star images in a good ‘frac, so if hunting tight doubles is your bag then go with something else. 

Addressing the larger Mak comments mentioned - I'd agree with this if you keep the scope outside in an obsy or shed? The problem if you don't is cooling as the large Maks do have a very thick corrector plate which cools slowly if say the scope is brought outside form a warm house. 

From memory my Mak 150 felt at least as heavy as a C8 definitely check the weights.

In a nutshell, I think the C8 would be a better choice if kept in the house, but if kept outside the larger Mak would be a good option.    

Archived