SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

like a fish out of water

After binge watching many, many space movies I've caught a bug, space is suddenly on my mind and I want to know more. Have a DSLR camera with some expensive lenses and have been taking shots of the moon but it's not enough, I want to see more. I've managed to rope my old man into this with me and we've decided to go halves on a telescope. Not looking to spend a fortune but want to be able to have a decent selection of things to look at, best bang for our bucks. I've looked online and the 8" dobsonian seems to be on everyone's list as a great first telescope.

I'm hoping you more experience stargazers can help us out. Want to put together a list of things that would make the whole experience more enjoyable. I see a lot of talk about eye pieces but there are so many to choose from that It's giving me a headache. I'm just doing circles as I don't really know what I'm looking at or what I should be looking for.

We are in the UK, any tips, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ben

Welcome Ben

That's a great observing choice. Though if it is too be kept upstairs when stored you might want to consider whether you need more portability.

The two eyepieces that come with most telescope bundles will get you started. When choosing further eyepieces you will want to consider do either yourself or your dad wear glasses as this effects how much eye relief to look for.

The 8" dob is a great choice so long as you don't want to do astrophotography. The first piece of additional equipment that I would recommend is some sort of adjustable height chair. I use an old drum stool but you can also buy and find plans online for observing chairs. 

With regards to eyepieces if you can give us an idea of your budget we can advise on the best options for your choice of scope. 

Best advice is to find a local astronomy club and pay them a visit. They will be more than willing to answer all your questions and have a look through their telescopes. In that way you will learn a lot and know where to go for information.

Archived